• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac OS X Lion to Have User Interface Overhaul?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

The picture in the link makes no sense to me. Why have an iOS like grid on the desktop and the same apps also in the dock?
But if this is launchpad then it's ok

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That is a screenshot of launchpad so it's nothing new so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 2.93ghz iMac
When is it due now, it was supposed to be 2010 was it not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When is it due now, it was supposed to be 2010 was it not?

No. Apple said last year when the announced Lion that it would be summer 2011.

Reaction score
Umm…haven't we heard this already? This seems more like regurgitated facts…with a few new bits of rumors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Umm…haven't we heard this already? This seems more like regurgitated facts…with a few new bits of rumors.

Yeah, pretty much. ;D

I wouldn't mind a nice UI refresh, although the elegance of SL is going to keep me happy for quite some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sad part is I'm more excited about a new version of Mail at this point than anything else in Lion :)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The sad part is I'm more excited about a new version of Mail at this point than anything else in Lion :)

I know what you mean. I was looking at Sparrow, but it seems this might be the better alternative. I'll save my $10 for something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm liking versions and mail too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I want to see what else is revealed as time goes on. Some of the things so far I'm not really impressed with.

For example, I think Launchpad is the dumbest thing, especially for a desktop environment. But at least I don't have to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Lion Preview

I know that you may have already seen this, but here's a nice preview of Mac OSX Lion straight from Apple!

link

What on this list are you most excited about? I like the idea of AirDrop! Reminds me of Bump for iOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I hadn't seen some of those things such as Resume or Versions, neat thanks. What I'm wondering about these new features for one thing, is whether they'll apply only to Apple's apps, or will they work as well with other programs too?

Versions seems like an ok thing, but the one thing I never liked about the idea of how Apple likes to use Versions is how too many versions can accumulate and start to eat up disk space. This is especially noticeable with apps such as iTunes or Aperture. Documents of course won't take up nearly as much space, but if versions applies to other data heavy apps, then who knows..

Resume sounds cool too but, I'm wondering if this will also require more disk space or RAM to be eaten up significantly, and will this be an option to turn on and off ?

I like the idea of Launch Pad, but to me, it renders the Dock absolutely redundant aside from the fact that you have to actually launch... launch pad FROM the dock. As it is, I have my non Apple apps in folders, categorized as I like, and there's not much aside from a prettier way to view this, that Launch Pad will add to that IMO. I'd rather just have no dock, and use the Launch Pad icon on the desktop to launch it with one click. I just really don't get the use of the Dock and LP at the same time

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You and me both. I was looking at the preview page and found that to be the most compelling feature (and this is if you count a new version of an app to be a new feature of the OS). Now, if Versions allows you to specify which folders get watched, that could be a great feature as well.

As it is, I have my non Apple apps in folders, categorized as I like, and there's not much aside from a prettier way to view this, that Launch Pad will add to that IMO.
You'd be able to organize your Apple apps into folders as well which you may appreciate given your recent issue with Mail. Probably not worth a new system of launching/organizing apps though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You and me both. I was looking at the preview page and found that to be the most compelling feature (and this is if you count a new version of an app to be a new feature of the OS). Now, if Versions allows you to specify which folders get watched, that could be a great feature as well.

You'd be able to organize your Apple apps into folders as well which you may appreciate given your recent issue with Mail. Probably not worth a new system of launching/organizing apps though.

Haha.. good memory. :) But still, the redundancy is silly.

Love the new Avatar btw.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops. double post. can a mod or admin banish this useless space waster please?

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Haha.. good memory. :) But still, the redundancy is silly.

Love the new Avatar btw.

Doug
My mind is like a steel trap ;). Agreed on the redundancy. I use Alfred to launch apps so as of right now, from where I'm sitting, Launchpad is of little to no use. I'll reserve judgment though until I actually use it. I don't even have any experience with the folders and arrangement it will use since I have a first gen iPod Touch (and thus, I'm stuck with v 3.x of iPhone OS).

As for the avatar: I seem to be really into Camus lately for some reason...

Reaction score
OS X Lion sneak peeks

The Apple page for OS X Lion has been updated with several features, including:

Air Drop (essentially Dropbox but integrated)
Auto-Save
Versions (view basically every version of a document you've created)
Resume (apps always begin right where they left off)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/

Reaction score
The Apple page for OS X Lion has been updated with several features, including:

Air Drop (essentially Dropbox but integrated)
Auto-Save
Versions (view basically every version of a document you've created)
Resume (apps always begin right where they left off)

Apple - Mac OS X Lion

There's more? YUSSS

*drool*

Okay…Lion Server has my attention. As does AirDrop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.