Macbook Pro mouse / cursor freezing force shutdown

Reaction score
This is my question: if I do a clean install of the 10.4 start up disc can I go to Apple Store and get the latest update disc and update to 10.6? Because most of my apps are made only for 10.5 or later. Will this ruin anything? Or is there another way?

Hello,

Cursor Freezing randomly. Must force shutdown by pressing power button for 10 seconds, then reboot. It happened 5 times today. Also, sometimes a horizontal line comes across the screen. Especially if it is too hot.

I have looked and read many threads on several sites (including official apple site but I think it is better to post here) about mouse / cursor freezing, crashing issues with Macbook Pro 17". My Macbook Pro 17" is freezing a lot lately and it has been for the past 10 months. Apple has issued a free replacement on the graphic card in the model I am using but my model does not have that graphic card.

So, let me tell you what I have done already:

• reset PRAM - command - option- P- R until second beep
  • take out battery hold power button 5 seconds
  • verify disk
  • disk permissions
  • started in safe mode
  • Done everything with ONYX that is possible

So, this brings me to my question.

These things I have not done yet:

• I can insert start up disc and hold down - C - and click -utility -repair HD
  • and I could do AHT (apple hardware test) insert startup disc hold -D-

But my question is this. I have a used computer. The start up disc is 10.4 but the machine is currently using 10.6.6 So, if I insert the start up disc and do try to do the above (Apple Hardware Test or Utility HD repair) will it ruin everything and go back to 10.4? Also, if I decide to do a clean install with the 10.4 can I go and buy the latest update combo at the Apple store then up date the machine that way? Or should I just go and get the 10.6 disc at the Apple store and do a clean install with that disc (is that even possible?)?

I think this is the only option for me. Or maybe I could just start in safe mode from now on if it gets really bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is my question: if I do a clean install of the 10.4 start up disc can I go to Apple Store and get the latest update disc and update to 10.6? Because most of my apps are made only for 10.5 or later. Will this ruin anything? Or is there another way?

<SNIP>

No, you can't download anything to update 10.4 to 10.6.x because 10.6 is a whole new OS release. The 2nd since 10.4 actually. You will have to buy the retail Snow Leopard disc and start by installing that.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. Is it OK if I clarify a few more things?

I will buy the Snow Leopard at the Apple retail store. Then do a full back-up with SuperDuper!

Next, I insert the Snow Leopard 10.6 disc and it will erase everything on my Macbook Pro 17" and it will start with iWork (I suppose iWork comes with the Snow Leopard disc).

Then I can simply drag all of my applications and documents from my external hard drive back-up onto my Macbook Pro.

Is this right?

Here is the question: Will all the apps register with my name again? Will I lose any ability to use the apps? Most of my apps are available for 10.6 anyway.

How about this. Do you think the apps which I have installed are having problems because the machine was originally 10.4 but they are meant for 10.6?

It freezes everyday for the past two weeks. Sometimes several times in one hour. I just keep rebooting.

Any other suggestions?

Sincerely,

-devananda108

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank you for your answer. Is it OK if I clarify a few more things?

I will buy the Snow Leopard at the Apple retail store. Then do a full back-up with SuperDuper!

Next, I insert the Snow Leopard 10.6 disc and it will erase everything on my Macbook Pro 17" and it will start with iWork (I suppose iWork comes with the Snow Leopard disc).

Then I can simply drag all of my applications and documents from my external hard drive back-up onto my Macbook Pro.

Is this right?

Snow Leopard doesn't come with iWork. Otherwise, your plan should be fine. Here's a guide to doing a clean install of OS X:
Erase and Install of Snow Leopard - How to Perform a Clean Install of Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

While most of your apps should work fine by simply dragging them back over, there are exceptions that need to be installed with their original installer, if they had one.

Here is the question: Will all the apps register with my name again? Will I lose any ability to use the apps? Most of my apps are available for 10.6 anyway.

You'll have to re-enter your registration information for any apps that require it.

How about this. Do you think the apps which I have installed are having problems because the machine was originally 10.4 but they are meant for 10.6?

It freezes everyday for the past two weeks. Sometimes several times in one hour. I just keep rebooting.

Any other suggestions?

It's not likely your apps "in general" are the root of your problems. It could be a rogue app or two, but I'm skeptical of that. What the exact reason is would require some more intense troubleshooting. There's no guarantee that upgrading to Snow Leopard will fix your problem, particularly if it's hardware related. But Snow Leopard is a great OS and definitely worth upgrading to.

Reaction score
Cursor freeze

Have same issue (late 2009 mbp) - trackpad and mouse frozen or locked in a 'right click' but moveable. So, went to genius bar, they noticed that the track pad was not 'clicking' like it should and found that the battery has 'swollen' out of shape, the inference is that the pressure from the battery being out of shape (yes, it is visibly so) expands further the hotter the machine gets (likely hot due to the issue that is causing the battery to swell) and is putting pressure on the trackpad internally. Have ordered a new battery (under warranty :) so we will see in the next day or two when the new battery is in, if that does the trick. Am running without battery at the moment and there have been no issues so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.