DVI to RCA Macbook Pro Problems

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a Macbook Pro, 2.2 Ghz Intel Core Duo with 4GB RAM. I keep having a problem connecting my TV to my Macbook with the DVI to RCA/S-Video Adapter I bought at the Macstore. Actually, this is my second one and I am beginning to believe it isn't the connector at all, but my settings.

The tv is just a lowly samsung with the video outs in front. I have plugged them together before and had them work. (i am using an RCA cable, which i have already tested and works fine). then it seems to stop working and all i get are the wavy lines. I have turned off the telly, restarted the mac, and i can't get them to work anymore. It really seems it is my display settings because every time i change them it shows something different on the screen. I keep trying different stuff but frankly there are so many combinations that i would be fiddling with it for a year.

It seems that at first, my macbook pro autodetects the display and i just plug-and-watch. no problems. then, i put it in one day and all i get is wavy lines. There has to be some combination on my settings that i can try that will make this work. This is my second adapter and this one is only two weeks old. Since the other one did the same thing after only a few months I really want to determine if it is just my error before i go back to the Macstore for a replacement.

I have googled this problem and most people seem to have problems with the HDTV and the fancier stuff. This is just a normal tv, nothing fancy, and the fact that it HAS worked in the past means i am just messing up. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.