Take MBP in now for nvidia repair, or wait?

Reaction score
Hi,

I feel like a jerk posting several times about taking my MBP in to get fixed, then failing to do so. Something always comes up, and I don't end up doing it. I was all ready to do it this weekend, then I heard new MBP's are coming. Now I know the chances of my MBP getting replaced with a new one are very, very small - but I might as well time it as best as possible. It's like the lottery! :p

If I take my MBP in immediately, before the new model announcements, does that mean, in theory only of course, Apple might be slightly be more likely to toss me a current model since they're going to want to clear out their inventory? *OR* has Apple already reduced their existing inventory by now, thus guaranteeing me NOT to get one? In which case I'd wait a week, although I doubt Apple will be handing out their brand new models for free anyway. Maybe I answered my own question just now... ;P

Regardless, I'll just be happy to have any MBP back after being without one for so long. But I can't help but want to give it my best shot.

Thanks.

-TM

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
I do not know what to say XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
IF your computer qualifies for the NVidia graphics card repair extension program and IF the program hasn't expired already, the only you can expect is a replacement logic board on your current computer at no charge to you.

Apple will occasionally replace a unit deemed "defective" but they follow some strict guidelines. If you have had a minimum of three major repairs in less than one year, I believe (possibly six months). That means major components - drives, boards, display; not fans, plastics, or RAM. Apple may choose at their discretion to replace the unit with a comparable new unit or give you the value of that unit as a credit toward a more expensive unit. A call to customer relations in those situations gets the ball rolling. If you're going to pursue this route, I encourage you to have all your papers in order, including proof of purchase, repair history, and a log of how long you've been without a working computer since the trouble began. Those documents will go a long way toward establishing your case, as opposed to someone who calls and says "Yeah, I got a lemon!" with nothing to back it up.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My MBP went bellyup with the NVIDIA graphics problem a week before my Applecare expired. I can tell you that replacement was never an option. They did a logic board replacement and turned it around back to me in less than a week.
I have know people who have gotten new Macs as replacement, but it was only after numerous unsuccessful attempts by Apple to fix the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.