putting my name in the tool bar at the top by clock

Reaction score
A newbie question here When I stole my first Mac book pro 13" 2.44 Hz 2 GB ram from a local pawn shop for $400 American dollars it had all the previous owners info in it because the pawn shop barley new how to turn it on much less how to wipe the drive. It had the owners name in the tool bar between the battery charged and the day of the week. he was the administer ( basically sxxxt pxxxxxxk's) computer. I am don't recall which OS was on it but the computer was less than a year old I 'm thinking 10.6.0, after finding the only way to format and get his info off the computer was to have original disc I called him and he took my information and said he would send it to me instead 45 minutes later the law was at my house to take it. I didn't give it up that easy and long story short his girl friend was able to pawn it because she because she was set up on it & had the password, problem was he let her barrow it and never reported it stolen. 4 months later they sold it to me legal eagle. The only thing I know is he was a professor at a university and it appears they set it and gave it to him. I bought a snow leopard OS disc and started new and could not figure out how to put that back, the pro's at our local BB don't know either. thanks for reading this rant. any one have an idea?:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
System Preferences -->Accounts-->Click Account Name-->Click Login Options-->Show Fast User Switching menu as: Name

OP
R
Reaction score
That is awesome I have asked many people about that and no answer. it worked thanks, it's not a big deal but I think it is cool. I had to buy a second MB Pro after this one because I let my wife use it and could never use it. Needless to say we went mac and will never go back!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
That is awesome I have asked many people about that and no answer. it worked thanks, it's not a big deal but I think it is cool. I had to buy a second MB Pro after this one because I let my wife use it and could never use it. Needless to say we went mac and will never go back!!!

Congrats on the new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
That's great. How could I get the black analog clock in my dash board to stay on the desk top all the time?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's great. How could I get the black analog clock in my dash board to stay on the desk top all the time?

I really doubt that is what you want as any of the Dashboard widgets you move to the desktop do not become a part of the desktop, but are floating widgets that will remain on top of any other window you have open. This can become quite annoying if you use applications in full screen or like to have multiple apps open side by side as you'll be having to move the widget around to see what's behind it.

However, if you'd like to try it, open up Dashboard, grab the widget and drag it a little bit, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut key, then release the widget. This will place it on the Desktop.

To get it back into the Dashboard, grab and drag the widget a little, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut, release the widget, then press the shortcut again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
A newbie question here When I stole my first Mac book pro 13" 2.44 Hz 2 GB ram from a local pawn shop for $400 American dollars it had all the previous owners info in it because the pawn shop barley new how to turn it on much less how to wipe the drive. It had the owners name in the tool bar between the battery charged and the day of the week. he was the administer ( basically sxxxt pxxxxxxk's) computer. I am don't recall which OS was on it but the computer was less than a year old I 'm thinking 10.6.0, after finding the only way to format and get his info off the computer was to have original disc I called him and he took my information and said he would send it to me instead 45 minutes later the law was at my house to take it. I didn't give it up that easy and long story short his girl friend was able to pawn it because she because she was set up on it & had the password, problem was he let her barrow it and never reported it stolen. 4 months later they sold it to me legal eagle. The only thing I know is he was a professor at a university and it appears they set it and gave it to him. I bought a snow leopard OS disc and started new and could not figure out how to put that back, the pro's at our local BB don't know either. thanks for reading this rant. any one have an idea?:Smirk:

You stole the computer and you're bragging about it here???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
You stole the computer and you're bragging about it here???

You need to read the original post again. He is referring to "stole" as the great price he got it for at the local pawn shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I really doubt that is what you want as any of the Dashboard widgets you move to the desktop do not become a part of the desktop, but are floating widgets that will remain on top of any other window you have open. This can become quite annoying if you use applications in full screen or like to have multiple apps open side by side as you'll be having to move the widget around to see what's behind it.

However, if you'd like to try it, open up Dashboard, grab the widget and drag it a little bit, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut key, then release the widget. This will place it on the Desktop.

To get it back into the Dashboard, grab and drag the widget a little, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut, release the widget, then press the shortcut again.
Tried this, doesn't work at least on my Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.
Ahhh, thanks for this info! I take my computer with me everywhere and having my name up in the upper right corner all the time makes me feel more secure about it somehow :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Ahhh, thanks for this info! I take my computer with me everywhere and having my name up in the upper right corner all the time makes me feel more secure about it somehow :p

Don't forget, you can have your screensaver set as computer name....
ie thekilierdonut's Macbook Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.