Opinions on iPad 2 rumors and original ideas.

Reaction score
I've been reading through the different iPad 2 rumors lately, because I should have enough money after my tax return to get the 32GB Wifi iPad (first generation, obviously). All sources point towards only having to wait a few weeks for the second generation, and that raises the question: why get an inferior generation now?

Some opinions on the individual rumors:

Cameras
They'll be included. Apple is pushing FaceTime entirely too much for it to not be an option. I don't particularly care whether there's a back-camera or not because I take pictures with my Incredible, but I do mind how it would mess with the simplicity of the design.

Form Factor
This is the thing that has me the most worried. I've found the iPad to be incredibly ergonomic because of its rounded back, and having a flat back seems a little risky to me. I know that people hold their flat laptops with one hand like that all the time, but the iPad is different.

It's obviously going to be thinner and lighter, and that's fine with me. I believe that the display will still be 9.7 inches (we have no reason to believe otherwise, all sources point towards a six or seven inch iPod 'deluxe' in September) and there may be various improvements, but no Retina Display.

3G>Wifi
It's well and good that 3G is preferred by most people, but Wifi will obviously continue to be an option. I, for one, wouldn't buy one with 3G because when I'm on the move I'll use my Incredible (and, possibly, by September my iPhone 5) for most of the same things. Or, use them as a mobile hotspot.

My main 'predictions' are for iOS; possibly an iterative release but more probably implemented in iOS 5:

Improved Multi-tasking
The public and the critics have spoken, and iOS needs a better implementation of multi-tasking. While this won't be an issue for a while, I'm sure there will be times where I'll want something running in the background. This feature may be implemented, but it's doubtful.

Instead, I think that most people ignore a key fact: OS X has one of the best multi-tasking (or, at least, handling of multiple windows) of any desktop OS with the use of Expose, and there have been reports of there not being a Home button. I think that there will be a home button but a better implementation of multi-tasking (or app switching, pick your terminology) similar to OS X; four-finger swiping to show all open windows/applications, and either two/four finger swipe to the sideways to move between windows quickly without hitting the Home button twice.

Notifications
As I understand it, the man behind webOS notifications (apparently considered best-in-class, I've never used it) is now working for Apple; CLEARLY the man is picking up the biggest issue with the software. With Android's beautiful solution (particularly in Honeycomb) to notifications, Apple has no excuse anymore.

Widgets
Just kidding. But it would be nice.

Anybody else want to share their opinions when there's about a week until the official announcement is supposedly happening? Hate my ideas? I'm open to discussion (obviously) and criticism.

C

chas_m

why get an inferior generation now?

Might not be "inferior." Apple still sells the iPhone 3GS even though the iPhone 4 has been out for nine months now. I'm just sayin'.

Cameras
They'll be included. Apple is pushing FaceTime entirely too much for it to not be an option. I don't particularly care whether there's a back-camera or not because I take pictures with my Incredible, but I do mind how it would mess with the simplicity of the design.

My guess would be one camera, in the exact same spot that was left for a camera in the original design, so it won't mess with anything at all.

Form Factor
This is the thing that has me the most worried.

Don't be. Same form factor.

It's obviously going to be thinner and lighter, and that's fine with me. I believe that the display will still be 9.7 inches (we have no reason to believe otherwise, all sources point towards a six or seven inch iPod 'deluxe' in September) and there may be various improvements, but no Retina Display.

No smaller iPad. No Retina Display (at least not this year).

My main 'predictions' are for iOS; possibly an iterative release but more probably implemented in iOS 5:

Improved Multi-tasking
The public and the critics have spoken, and iOS needs a better implementation of multi-tasking.

Couldn't disagree more. The multi-tasking is perfect just the way it is. In fact, the only thing I'd change is making it easier to genuinely quit apps, but judging from Lion Apple is actually going in the opposite direction (ie making inactive apps SO inactive there's no reason to quit them EVER). That works too.

Furthermore, I don't know who the "public and critics" you're talking about are -- I've seen no serious, credible reports of anything even REMOTELY approaching dissatisfaction with the current multi-tasking. Quite the opposite, actually ... at least when you talk to people who are smart enough to understand the trade-off with battery life you get from other multi-tasking schemes.

While this won't be an issue for a while, I'm sure there will be times where I'll want something running in the background. This feature may be implemented, but it's doubtful.

Huh? I have things running in the background on my iPad (mostly internet radio) all the time. Maybe I've misinterpreted what you're saying here.

OP
E
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. The multi-tasking is perfect just the way it is. In fact, the only thing I'd change is making it easier to genuinely quit apps, but judging from Lion Apple is actually going in the opposite direction (ie making inactive apps SO inactive there's no reason to quit them EVER). That works too.

I believe most any review (editorial or customer) that mentions multitasking has mentioned a faster way to switch between the apps. I don't have an iOS device (I sold the iPod Touch that came with my MBP for college) as of yet but I have used them fairly extensively, and while I don't find a problem with the iOS version of multitasking (freezing an app and storing it in memory) I do think that double-tapping the home button and then swiping, and then tapping, IS a little extensive.

Based on the iOS 4.3 features that have been mentioned (a quick google search should find you most of the info) it seems like Apple is meeting most people halfway; four/five finger swipe up to reveal the app-switcher, and four/five finger swipe to the sides to quickly switch. This should keep everyone happy with what's going on.

What I mean by the backgrounding is that it would be nice to be able to get some writing done in iA Writer or look through a page in Safari (or Skyfire, haven't decided yet) while I'm talking to someone on Facebook/MSN. If this is already possible I must have missed it and that's my mistake :3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Multi-tasking, widgets, and notifications are all iOS-related items and not tied to the hardware of the iPad 2.

So at best, those overhauls wouldn't happen until iOS 5 which right now is rumored to maybe hit sometime this summer.

OP
E
Reaction score

And like I said, it seems like gestures-for-app-switching are incorporated into iOS 4.3.

C

chas_m

What I mean by the backgrounding is that it would be nice to be able to get some writing done in iA Writer or look through a page in Safari (or Skyfire, haven't decided yet) while I'm talking to someone on Facebook/MSN. If this is already possible I must have missed it and that's my mistake :3

I don't know about Facebook (there is no iPad app for this, I use Friendly instead) or MSN, but my wife chats on IM Lite or AIM while doing other things on the iPad all the time, so I believe what you're looking for is basically possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I
Improved Multi-tasking
The public and the critics have spoken, and iOS needs a better implementation of multi-tasking. While this won't be an issue for a while, I'm sure there will be times where I'll want something running in the background. This feature may be implemented, but it's doubtful.

From what I've seen, the only public and critics complaining about iOS multi-tasking are Android users and Android fans. Yet, I constantly see complaints about Android device battery-zapping and software crawling due to multiple apps running that have to be individually killed all the time.

So, it's a toss-up. If you absolutely have to have "real multi-tasking" then you're going to have to deal with the baggage that comes with it. Otherwise, Apple's multi-tasking is perfect: multi-tasking without the maintenance/annoyance.

OP
E
Reaction score
If you'd read further I clarified that there were few instances where I wanted real backgrounding, but that I DO want a more functional app-switcher.

That being said, I will say that in my opinion Apple's implementation feels better than Android's; I went to the mall today and spent a fair amount of time with both. I won't get into a Xoom vs iPad discussion at the moment, but the fact that the iPad had a physical button for me to touch was comforting; the Xoom's buttonless design is a drawback, so hopefully Apple makes it gesture (AND double-tap) based, but I hope to god they don't get rid of the Home button any time soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.