External Hard drive appears in Disk Utility, not in Finder

Reaction score
Hey all -

I have an external hard drive that I need to access one last time to clean off and then shoot it with a large handgun.

The external hard drive does not appear in Finder, so I can't just copy by dragging and dropping. It does show up in Disk Utility, though I have gotten errors in unsuccessfully trying to create a disk image.

Does anyone have insight as to how to rescue my final data prior to my shooting this hard drive into orbit?

(Alternatively - Is this machine intelligent enough to show fear, such that it knows of its' impending doom and doesn't want to give up the goods?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it appears in Disk Utility, have you tried doing a verify and repair? If for some reason you can not, the drive may be inaccessible. You might need special software to read and copy the data from the drive.

Data Rescue 3 is one of the best for that job.

OP
B
Reaction score
actually, i just found out that my problem was the bug in Mac OSX 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 reading peripheries.

Now, Does anyone know how to upgrade from OSX10.4 to 10.5?

am I a jerk for feeling like I shouldnt have to pay $30 to upgrade when they haven't made an operating system that works with standard devices?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.