iPhoto help?

Reaction score
I accidentally deleted iPhoto from my Macbook, so I just bought the new one from the app store.
I tried to open it, but it won't load at all, or add any pictures.
Help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of errors are you getting if any, and what happens when you try to open it? When you downloaded it from the App store did it place an icon in your Dock?

Also, when you say you accidentally deleted iPhoto from your MacBook, are you sure you deleted it and not just the icon on your Dock? In order to delete iPhoto, you would have had to open the Applications folder and delete it from there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, once I downloaded it, it immediately placed the icon on my dock. The problems are... well everything! When it opens, the white swirling loading sign just stays on there in the middle of the screen. I'm not able to add any photos to it or do anything at all. Plus, if I click on the "create" button or any of the buttons in the lower right corner, it shuts off and says it "quit unexpectedly".

But yes, I definitely deleted it. It is no where to be found. I deleted it from the applications folder and accidentally emptied the trash.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like remnants of the old iPhoto that you deleted may still be present and possibly causing a conflict. What version did you delete? The iPhoto you downloaded from the App store is the latest from the iLife suite.

iPhoto installs folders with files in other places besides the Applications folder but I would have thought the new copy you downloaded would overwrite what was already there. Maybe not?

I was going to suggest deleting it again and download another copy from the App store but I'm not sure they won't charge you again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320GB HD, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.7
rikkin, I apologize for the obvious question but...Is your system backed up at all? I'm guessing that would be the first thing you thought of but I had to ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I was going to suggest deleting it again and download another copy from the App store but I'm not sure they won't charge you again.
If you've bought an App from the App Store, you can download it again free of charge.

OP
R
Reaction score
I deleted iPhoto '09.
Where would I possibly find the remnants of the old one? I've looked everywhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deleted iPhoto '09.
Where would I possibly find the remnants of the old one? I've looked everywhere.

Look here:

MacIntosh HD/Library/Application Support/iPhoto/

MacIntosh HD/Applications/iPhoto.app/

MacIntosh HD/Library/Receipts/

You can delete the entire folder of the first two, however, the Receipts folder only delete what pertains to iPhoto.

Also search your user folder and delete any preference files pertaining to iPhoto. (plist files) You shouldn't have to delete the iPhoto library but as long as you have a backup of your photos, you can do that also.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you! I deleted all iPhoto files. Now I'm going to re-download it from the app store.

OP
R
Reaction score
I deleted all the remnants of the old iPhoto and re-downloaded it. No luck. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.