Magic Track Pad battery usage.

Reaction score
I had my Mac for 4 months now, really happy with it.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the Magic track Pad battery usage. Mine will eat a fully (re)charged, new battery in 4 days, maybe less.

This seems a lot for such a device. Can someone please post a comparison so I know whether I have a problem or not.

Cheers.

(I suppose it does get some hammer, I rarely use the mouse.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have the Apple batteries and charger, and I have had mine in since Christmas and have not charged them yet. Granted, my usage is probably much less than most but 4 days seems ridiculous. My Magic mouse that I use every day gets well over a month of use on a charge.

OP
R
Reaction score
I too bought the apple charger and batteries. (Just as well I did!)

OK, thanks for that, I'll start asking questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have the batteries that came with mine, and have had it in use since Christmas. 55% power left, so that sure seems excessive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Two things to think about?
Does your Apple Computer go to sleep - this should put your Magic Track Pad to sleep, although it will still consume a small amount.
Second do you know how to "shut off" your Magic Track Pad? Push and hold the "On Button" for more than 5 seconds until the green light goes off. This really does save your battery.
I have also bought the Apple Charger and Batteries and can get 2 to 3 months out of a full charge and I use my computer 4 to 8 hours a day. I shut my computer off at night and I also shut off my Apple BT Keyboard and Magic Track Pad.

DavidH

OP
R
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I've spoken to Apple support and they're going to replace the unit. The two tech guys I spoke to had never seen the problem before.

Thanks for the above input, very helpful.

Russ

OP
R
Reaction score
Just to close this thread out.

Got my replacement track pad - battery usage has dropped noticeably - only used 4% in 4 days. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Good to know, at least for future reference we know that others have had issues. Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.