How to delete a program...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
I'm new to Macs, obviosly... so go easy on me.

I installed the software for my networked backup drive, hoping that it would work with TimeMachine, but it won't. I ended up buying a firewire drive, and it works perfectly with TM. Now I want to remove all the software for the external drive. It auto loads its software to the dock, and I can also access it through the applications... but there is no "uninstall" file like you would expect on a PC.

How do I get rid of it? Is it as simple as dragging it to the recycle bin? I don't want to leave behind annoying fragments. Maybe I'm too used to how a PC works... :Blushing:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
I guess I could have done a search... it looks like I just drag it to the trash bin... and maybe use an app to make sure it is totally deleted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Before dragging the app to the trash, look to see if it has an uninstaller either in the Applications Folder or on the company's website. Some apps have an uninstaller, some do not. If no uninstaller available, then you can drag to the trash and possibly run an app like appzapper to be 100% sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Keep in mind also that even the one or two files that may be left behind are miniscule and do not usually affect system performance. That said, I do use AppCleaner just because I don't like clutter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
And to be incredibly redundant with this AppCleaner, here's a quick link to the page. Works like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
the recycle bin
The what?

the trash bin
Trash what?

the trash
There you go! Although I'd write it as the Trash. ;)

All these votes for App Cleaner are fine, but no third party uninstall program is perfect. The best way to eliminate everything associated with an app is to find it all and drag everything to the Trash. The trick is finding it all. App Cleaner and others of that ilk may not be able to do it either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.