iMac OS 10.6 won't restart or shut down

Reaction score
When I try to shut down or restart, I get a message that says other users are logged in and may lose data etc. OK that's normal, since my wife also has an account on the computer and is usually logged in when I am. However, when I enter the username and password (either mine or my wife's), nothing happens when I hit the shut down or restart button. If I am the only one logged in, the computer shuts down and restarts OK. I used Onyx as well as Disk Utility to run permissions repair and other maintenance tasks such as cleaning caches, and Onyx says the disk is OK. The only thing that works to shut down is to use the start button. What else could be happening?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's normal. Other users who are logged in should log out first before you (as the admin) can effect a normal shutdown. Why is your wife logged in if she isn't using the machine?

Forcing a shut down by the use of the power button can eventually lead to data loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Enable Fast User Switching, then you can quick change users and log here off.

OP
I
Reaction score
thanks but still ?

Thanks for the tips. I'm still puzzled as to why I used to be able to shutdown/restart by entering a user name and password when we were both logged in and now can't. Something changed--maybe when I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.