• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Importing a DVD into a Mac editing App

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
(1.) I need to import a Non Copyguarded DVD directly into a Mac Movie editing application hopefully (digital to digital using the Super Drive) if not then analog to digital by Firewire. I'm sick of running it through a digital cameras into iMovie and having it chopped up into little frames for no reason!

(2.) Has anyone ever come up with a update or "FIX" for the old, simple to use iMovie 4.0 that allows it to work with O.S. 10? I've developed some work arounds that allow it to work with allot of effort, but what a pain! Why couldn't Apple see that the iMovie 4.0 approach was all some customers wanted. Most don't want to make Avatar in their basement, just vacation movies!

(3.) Is Final Cut Pro better at importing an entire movie at once to make small changes?

(4.) Can Final Cut Pro import through the Super Drive like a sensible computer should be able to!

HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
What version of iMovie are you using at the moment?
I know of a work around for iMovie 8, which may work for 9 I guess.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
What version of iMovie are you using at the moment?
I know of a work around for iMovie 8, which may work for 9 I guess.

I don't use O.S. 10 Versions of iMovie because I can't figure out how to import 70-90 minutes of video in one clip. In most cases I just need to edit a few areas and don't want to deal with all those short clips. In the ancient iMovie 4.0 you could input 90 minutes in 9 minute plus clips and just deal with only those clips you wanted to edit.

If you have a work around or know the correct way to do any of the things I mentioned it would be helpful. I'm sure much of my problem is ignorance for sure because I haven't fought through learning the O.S. 10 Versions of iMovie. iMovie 4.0 was so simple & user friendly I got spoiled.

Is Final Cut Pro easier to use?

Thanx for the response,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I find it interesting that you have experienced iMovie importing as lots of small clips when importing from the camera. My relatively limited experience of it was not like that, it just imported the whole video in one clip from my DV camera, and I had to split it where I wanted (it was footage of my band). This is using iMovie 09 by the way, which I know was massively improved over 08, so it may be worth the small effort to try it out again. Take a read of this review for some more detail if you wish:

iMovie 09

Anyway, back to the workaround for importing from VIDEO_TS.

# Insert the DVD you want to transfer to iMovie.
# Launch Disk Utility.app (found in the Utilities folder under Applications).
# Select the DVD and click the New Image icon located in the toolbar.
# Name your image and select a save location (I normally save to the desktop).
# Once you have your image, doubleclick to mount it.
# Launch iMovie. The program should automatically recognize the DVD image and begin processing the files.

As I say, it may work for you, but no guarantee.

As for Final Cut, No, far more complex I think you'll find, though ultimately better. Honestly iMovie 09 is more than capable IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.