Macbook Pro - buy now or wait?

Reaction score
Hello,
Im just about to join the world of apple by buying my first macbook pro.
Right now im looking at buying a 15" 2.66GHz intel core i7

Im still a little hesitant about buying it. Should I buy it now,
or will i get a better deal if i wait until september (back to school deals)?
I think they threw in a free itouch last year with a notebook purchase.

secondly, should i be getting any of the extras? is it worth it?
- more memory
- solid state hard drive
- applecare protection plan

I am a university student studying multi-media design.
I use a lot of programs like adobe and 3d rendering software.

price isn't so much an issue for me at the moment.
I've been saving up for the past 2 years and really want to
invest in a good macbook pro to do my design and graphic work
off of professionally.

Thanks in advance for you help. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you can wait then wait. If you need it now...then get one now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to M-F jclui

There are rumours (and that is all they are) the the new MBP is coming out shortly. Have a look at This thread concerning that.

secondly, should i be getting any of the extras? is it worth it?
- more memory
- solid state hard drive
- applecare protection plan

Memory ~ If you are doing 3D rendering then the more RAM the better. Have a look at OWC ~ MacSales for good reliable cheap RAM. Great company and reliable. They test all hardware on Mac's so we know it will work. Dont get it from Apple.

SSD ~ Hmmm personal choice this one. They are still quite expensive for the amount of storage you get on them. Personally i would wait a while on SSD's unless you have the coin to get one. I would also look at OWC for these if you wish to go this way.
Have a look at MacBook Pro 15" with SSD ~ Review and Benchmark Tests

AppleCare ~ This is a given. But on that the amount of people that buy it and dont need it is phenomenal BUT is still worth having IMO anyways. Apple Support is second to none (ask any long time member on the forum) but having that extended 3Yr warranty makes me sleep easy at night :)

If your set on a portable, you cant go wrong with your choice. It will handle just about anything you chuck at it.
I have a friend with a Black Macbook with only 1GB Ram and she runs SnowLeopard on it and uses CS PS5, Indesign and Lightroom intensivly . . . With 1GB RAM. I think that ss=ays a lot for the build quality of these machines.

Hope this helps some and be sure to return and let us know how you went.

PS Im not a student and im not in the US for Sept so i cant comment on that side of it.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Hello,
Im just about to join the world of apple by buying my first macbook pro.
Right now im looking at buying a 15" 2.66GHz intel core i7

I got the i7 only a month ago, it's awesome. You mentioned in your post that you might wait until September - which is a long way off - so I assume you don't need a new machine right away? If so, it might be worth hanging on at least a few weeks if you're the kind of person who will regret it when something shinier comes out. I don't have that issue, which is why I got mine now. I also bought a MacBook Black in 2006, only 5 weeks before the C2D came out (mine was an original Core Duo). It never bothered me or made ay difference to how much I enjoyed the machine.

By Sept, there will almost certainly be at least one refresh... but that's 8 months away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
If you can wait then wait. If you need it now...then get one now.
No better way to put it, sir.

I don't think there is any harm in waiting at all if it is not a necessary purchase at this point in time. I'm actually in the same boat as you are, as I'm going off to university in September as well. I am personally going to wait until closer to then, because with the "imminent" refresh supposedly happening in the next week or two, I think it's wise.

I'm getting by with my current BlackBook (see specs under my avatar) and doing some light 3D work and some photo editing. While my rig works for the job, I'd prefer something faster. So, in other words, and like TattooedMac already said, RAM upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
i got mine just as the new one came out. I like mine but it is the 13 inch. I think that it is up to you on when you want to get it. If you don't have a computer now or have one that is dieing then I would get one now. I am looking at getting the Air and a 21.5 inch iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 mbp 8gb ram 500gb hybrid ssd.
Last Real mbp?

not to change the subject....but this will be the last true macbook pro, when steve is gone the company will change.....and dont feel bad about taking your mac back, theyve already made their coin off you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
not to change the subject....but this will be the last true macbook pro, when steve is gone the company will change.....and dont feel bad about taking your mac back, theyve already made their coin off you

What is that supposed to mean?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.