mac won't start up

Reaction score
left my mac on standby for the 3-day weekend which i usually do, i hardly ever shut it down. i've done this for as long as i've had it which is almost 3 years now and never had a problem. i noticed first that the adapter wouldn't charge the battery - the light just stayed green and wouldn't turn red. so when i unplugged it, it would shut off.

then, after using it for an hour or so, i shut it off to try and restart the battery. this didn't work but now, it won't log on. my primary account wouldn't sign on after entering my password - it just showed the standard leopard desktop and not my custom desktop. i shut it down another time and waited at least 15 seconds before turning it on again. i tried logging onto a guest account, and though it went a little further than the leopard desktop - it actually showed the custom desktop and icons - it doesn't have the mac startup bar or anything. i can't click on the mac hard drive icon or any of the icons on the task bar.

what is it?? is it a virus? coincidentally, my sophos anti-virus just finished it's run and i neglected to renew the license...

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
Hi,
people might help you if you enter you Mac Specs :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.