Should I return my MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 10.6.6
Ok, so I just got my MBP 13" a little over a week ago, the 11th to be exact. Now that I've been cruising this forum, I'm reading that there's rumors that a new MBP is on it's way for right around the same price. My question is...Should I return my MBP and wait for the newer one to come out? Is it going to be that much better? What kind of specs are we lookin at here? If you could just point me into the direction of the improvements that would be great! Thanks in advance.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
No one knows anything for certain until the announcement is made. Rumor suggest an announcement coming this week or next, but it's just a rumor. Details about what will be updated are even more vague. Apple is always very tightlipped about this stuff. You'll just have to wait, but even if the announcement is made this week, it may be awhile until they're sold. I would say the chances are good there will be a refresh announced very very soon, so return it if you want and see what happens.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 10.6.6
No one knows anything for certain until the announcement is made. Rumor suggest an announcement coming this week or next, but it's just a rumor. Details about what will be updated are even more vague. Apple is always very tightlipped about this stuff. You'll just have to wait, but even if the announcement is made this week, it may be awhile until they're sold. I would say the chances are good there will be a refresh announced very very soon, so return it if you want and see what happens.

I really want to go and return it, but then again, I don't want to be without my MBP for too long.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's no guarantee that new MBP's:

- will be released soon
- will have features worth waiting for
- will be less expensive
- that there will be no inventory shortages if new models are more popular than expected

But given that:

- the MBP line is due for an update
- that the "rumor mill" has that update coming very soon
- and this is the time of the year that Apple usually does announce new models/products

If you will not incur any sort of financial loss returning the MBP...if it were me...I would probably return it...and see what happens in the next 1-2 weeks.

Of course if you absolutely need a MBP now...then buying now made/makes a lot of sense.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
^^^^^^ Great post there Nick, but have seen you post that ohh too often ;)

And this isnt a dig at the OP but who wants to start a book on how many threads in the next week (bc the new MBP will be out by then) about should i wait or should i buy, or do i return my 2 week old Mac for the new one lol

Can see it a mile away haahaha

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

And this isnt a dig at the OP but who wants to start a book on how many threads in the next week (bc the new MBP will be out by then) about should i wait or should i buy, or do i return my 2 week old Mac for the new one lol

Can see it a mile away haahaha

I sense these types of threads popping for this whole week. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I sense these types of threads popping for this whole week. >_<"

Yep for sure. And as i went back into the Get New page, what was at the top of the listing lol

Im still cracking up seeing that. Mind you the OP of that thread you posted in was looking for a little more .......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Regarding hardware updates...I usually say..."Who knows...only Apple knows!"

This time around it seems very likely very soon...so I thought that I would say...yeah return it & see what happens.;)

- Nick

p.s. Of course I know how everyone feels about these sort of threads (I feel the same). Don't forget the other threads we will see (after every new model announcement)...

"I just bought an (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc.) just 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. weeks ago...can I return it & get the new one???";)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I would. But that's just me.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I confess I have a little problem with the idea of returning something I chose to buy that works perfectly.

Noone held a gun to my head (usually) and made me buy it, and if I now return it the item is used and results in a loss to the seller. I know a certain amount of returns are built into the operating budget, and I have zero problems with returning something that has problems, or doesn't meet expectations based on advertising.

I'm not saying I haven't done exactly this before, or won't in the future, but it isn't something I would do without a lot of second guessing.
Honestly, I had this happen when I bought my Mac Mini (though I knew better, I neglected to check the life cycle on when an update was expected) 2 mos after I got it the new version came out with HDMI port.

Anyway, rambling post, but if it was me, I would keep the MBP and chalk it up to experience if the new version does come out later and is so much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Absolutely YES, get it back quick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I confess I have a little problem with the idea of returning something I chose to buy that works perfectly.

Noone held a gun to my head (usually) and made me buy it, and if I now return it the item is used and results in a loss to the seller. I know a certain amount of returns are built into the operating budget, and I have zero problems with returning something that has problems, or doesn't meet expectations based on advertising.

I'm not saying I haven't done exactly this before, or won't in the future, but it isn't something I would do without a lot of second guessing.
Honestly, I had this happen when I bought my Mac Mini (though I knew better, I neglected to check the life cycle on when an update was expected) 2 mos after I got it the new version came out with HDMI port.

Anyway, rambling post, but if it was me, I would keep the MBP and chalk it up to experience if the new version does come out later and is so much better.

Most of these kinds of returns are sold as refurbs, so I have zero problem with it. Refurbs are just as good as any new product and come with the same warranty and option to get Apple Care. And at a reduced price, no one is really losing out in the end.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Most of these kinds of returns are sold as refurbs, so I have zero problem with it. Refurbs are just as good as any new product and come with the same warranty and option to get Apple Care. And at a reduced price, no one is really losing out in the end.

Doug

Definitely agree on the refurbs!

I just got a 70-300mm AFS Vr from B&H for about a third less than new. It came in the factory packaging from the Nikon refurb center and as far as I can see it looks absolutely brand new.
Got to try it out this weekend and it is one sweet lens! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely agree on the refurbs!

I just got a 70-300mm AFS Vr

Very nice :) Great choice

2nd time in a week i have felt envious lol

Be sure to post in the PoTM thread

M

MacInWin

Doug
Not really. Apple loses. They take it back at full price refund, resell for refurb price, so they lose money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really. Apple loses. They take it back at full price refund, resell for refurb price, so they lose money.

Umm isnt there a 15% restocking fee or there abouts to cover just this thing ?? Hmm i think there is, so that makes a full refund not so full ;)

Cheers

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum and I just had a quick question. I am a recent owner of a macbook pro 13" 2.66ghz that I purchased almost 2 weeks ago and im loving it so much. This is my first apple computer ive ever owned and its just amazing but heres the deal. I am aware that this is the april 2010 model of the macbook pro with the core 2 duo, and all the recent news about the new sandy bridge models has me worried. I wasnt under the impression that a new model would hit the market so fast but I guess thats just technology. My main use of this macbook is for the adobe master collection and maybe a game or two nothing to heavy; I have until the 25th of feb to bring this macbook back and rumor has it that the new one hits stores on the 24th. I know no one knows what the new line will REALLY include but lets say they do put an i5 chip in the 13inch would it be worth it to return? I know the specs I have now are good enough to run the CS5 suite but having an SSD just for osx to boot up and light peak sound really good. Sorry to rant guys just got settled in my mac and kinda sucks a new one is coming out with same price tag. Would you take it back if an i5 is standard? Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.