Should I return my MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I thought that if it's returned within a certain time period it's totally free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to M-F dirty.

Now this isnt to have a dig at you but have a read of this thread Should i return my MBP ?? and pay particular attention to Nicks (pigoo3) post.

We ahve already had so many threads asking about the rumours. Thats all they are until Apple announce the release. So read his post and it might clear up a few things for you. Good luck which ever way you decide to go and be sure to return here to the forum :)
On running intensive Apps . . . I use to have a White MB with 1GB originally until i upgraded and it rans CS PS4 flawlessly. Now my MBP 13" 2.4 with 4 GB Ram plays nice with CS PS5 and i dont have a i5 or i7. So what ever you chuck at these babies is fine . . .
Cheers

M

MacInWin

Umm isnt there a 15% restocking fee or there abouts to cover just this thing ?? Hmm i think there is, so that makes a full refund not so full ;)

Cheers
Even if there is a restocking fee, that would have to cover the reboxing, refurb testing labor costs, I suspect. I still think Apple loses on the deal.

Reaction score
Welcome to M-F dirty.

Now this isnt to have a dig at you but have a read of this thread Should i return my MBP ?? and pay particular attention to Nicks (pigoo3) post.

We ahve already had so many threads asking about the rumours. Thats all they are until Apple announce the release. So read his post and it might clear up a few things for you. Good luck which ever way you decide to go and be sure to return here to the forum :)
On running intensive Apps . . . I use to have a White MB with 1GB originally until i upgraded and it rans CS PS4 flawlessly. Now my MBP 13" 2.4 with 4 GB Ram plays nice with CS PS5 and i dont have a i5 or i7. So what ever you chuck at these babies is fine . . .
Cheers

thanks alot for the info bud, i appreciate it, i dont know much about macs but from what ive seen for myself with my MB pro it runs adobe apps way better than windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought that if it's returned within a certain time period it's totally free.

Apple recently revised their return policy and there is no mention of a restocking fee. At least here in the US. I don't know about the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada, or anywhere else.

Here is their US sales and return policy: LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple recently revised their return policy and there is no mention of a restocking fee. At least here in the US. I don't know about the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada, or anywhere else.

Here is their US sales and return policy: LINK

WOW Ok then Sorry to all. I hadnt looked at a revised Apple Policy Document. It was only 4-5 weeks ago that i pointed someone to the restocking fee :(

This is good to know now, if there a change in that direction.

Similar document here in Aust too Charlie

Thanks for the update

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Even if there is a restocking fee, that would have to cover the reboxing, refurb testing labor costs, I suspect. I still think Apple loses on the deal.

Something else that always needs to be factored into a conversation such as this is "gross margin". The difference between what it costs a company to produce a product & what they sell the product for at retail.

As you will see in the first link below...Apple has a gross margin of somewhere around 41.7%. In other words, Apple sells $583 worth of stuff for $1,000.

Why Apple's Gross Margins Are So High | Markets | Minyanville.com

In this 2nd link...it is suggested that Apple has a gross margin of anywhere from 42.9% to over 60% on products such as the iPad & iPhone.

Apple makes $208 on each $499 iPad - Computerworld

The bottom line is...even if Apple did have a 15% restocking fee (which "chscag" verified there is not one currently)...with gross margins of 41.7% to over 60%...Apple still makes money on returned items & refurbished items...they just don't make as much money.

I also wanted to mention that this "gross margin" is not all profit...part of the gross margin also pays for the operation of Apple Stores, corporate headquarters costs, employee salaries, advertising, etc.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Something else that always needs to be factored into a conversation such as this is "gross margin". The difference between what it costs a company to produce a product & what they sell the product for at retail.

As you will see in the first link below...Apple has a gross margin of somewhere around 41.7%. In other words, Apple sells $583 worth of stuff for $1,000.

Why Apple's Gross Margins Are So High | Markets | Minyanville.com

In this 2nd link...it is suggested that Apple has a gross margin of anywhere from 42.9% to over 60% on products such as the iPad & iPhone.

Apple makes $208 on each $499 iPad - Computerworld

The bottom line is...even if Apple did have a 15% restocking fee (which "chscag" verified there is not one currently)...with gross margins of 41.7% to over 60%...Apple still makes money on returned items & refurbished items...they just don't make as much money.

I also wanted to mention that this "gross margin" is not all profit...part of the gross margin also pays for the operation of Apple Stores, corporate headquarters costs, employee salaries, advertising, etc.

- Nick
Thanks Nick,
That makes me feel better about it all. I'm not a legalist, just don't want to take advantage when the problem is my own indecision.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick,
That makes me feel better about it all. I'm not a legalist, just don't want to take advantage when the problem is my own indecision.

As we all know...companies are in business to make money...not lose money!;)

I can just about guarantee, that companies constantly examine & revise their return policies to make sure things are "in line" with industry standards (the computer industry in this case)...and "in line" from a profit/loss perspective.

Since Apple (rather recently) has revised their return policy (eliminating the restocking fee...at least in the US)...Apple probably still makes a profit (gross margins mentioned in my earlier post) when they resell these returned computers (most likely as refurbished units).

Plus by eliminating the restocking fee...Apple continues to:

- separate themselves from their competitors (who do charge a restocking fee)
- create a lot of "goodwill" with consumers
- and continues to put customer service high on their list of priorities!:)

- Nick

p.s. I wish I had as much luck as you when it comes to refurbished camera products. I purchased a refurbished Nikon D80 & two auto focus lenses a while back...and the auto focus motor in one of the lenses "crapped-out"...with VERY little use on it since purchase!:(

Reaction score
As we all know...companies are in business to make money...not lose money!;)

I can just about guarantee, that companies constantly examine & revise their return policies to make sure things are "in line" with industry standards (the computer industry in this case)...and "in line" from a profit/loss perspective.

Since Apple (rather recently) has revised their return policy (eliminating the restocking fee...at least in the US)...Apple probably still makes a profit (gross margins mentioned in my earlier post) when they resell these returned computers (most likely as refurbished units).

Plus by eliminating the restocking fee...Apple continues to:

- separate themselves from their competitors (who do charge a restocking fee)
- create a lot of "goodwill" with consumers
- and continues to put customer service high on their list of priorities!:)

- Nick

p.s. I wish I had as much luck as you when it comes to refurbished camera products. I purchased a refurbished Nikon D80 & two auto focus lenses a while back...and the auto focus motor in one of the lenses "crapped-out"...with VERY little use on it since purchase!:(

Nikon/Nikkor lenses have a very long warranty. Did you purchase from an authorized dealer and has the lens been properly diagnosed? Often there are use error issues. None of my Nikon bodies or lenses have broken even under very heavy use. About 30K photos a year. I even have many ebay N lenses and those are all fine too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nikon/Nikkor lenses have a very long warranty. Did you purchase from an authorized dealer and has the lens been properly diagnosed? Often there are use error issues. None of my Nikon bodies or lenses have broken even under very heavy use. About 30K photos a year. I even have many ebay N lenses and those are all fine too.

Thanks for your suggestions. As I mentioned in my earlier post...this lens was a refurbished unit. It only had a 30 day warranty on it. Yes it was properly diagnosed (actually took it to a Nikon Service Center in the Chicago area). Repair costs were too high to make doing the repair financially feasible.

I'm now looking for a AF VR zoom lens. When the price is right...I will get it!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. As I mentioned in my earlier post...this lens was a refurbished unit. It only had a 30 day warranty on it. Yes it was properly diagnosed (actually took it to a Nikon Service Center in the Chicago area). Repair costs were too high to make doing the repair financially feasible.

I'm now looking for a AF VR zoom lens. When the price is right...I will get it!:)

- Nick

Could you have been scammed?

I've never run into a "30 day" warranty on a Nikon refurbished lens.

Maybe you got someone else's DOA or dropped lens resold to you by the unscrupulous?

From whom did you buy the lens?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Maybe you got someone else's DOA or dropped lens resold to you by the unscrupulous?

30 days is the standard warranty on lenses refurbished by Nikon. The longer warranty only applies to new lenses.

EDIT: If you go to B&H and Adorama and read their FAQs regarding refurbished lenses you will find this.

Reaction score
30 days is the standard warranty on lenses refurbished by Nikon. The longer warranty only applies to new lenses.

EDIT: If you go to B&H and Adorama and read their FAQs regarding refurbished lenses you will find this.

So they've reduced it? I've gotten 90 with the store adding on another year.

Just checked Adorama on a few refurb lenses…none had 30 day warranties?!?

Somehow my Nikon lenses don't break anyway, I dunno.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So they've reduced it? I've gotten 90 with the store adding on another year.

Just checked Adorama on a few refurb lenses…none had 30 day warranties?!?

Somehow my Nikon lenses don't break anyway, I dunno.
You beat me to the punch. I've been away from my computer, but Iwent and checked my warranty card. It is 90 days instead of 30. I remembered wrong.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

In the long run it really doesn't matter. I've probably had the lens for about 2 years (but it stopped working after about 1 year). But like I said...I took VERY few photos with it before it broke. If I took more than 350 photos with it I would probably be stretching it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
I bought my Pro less than 2 weeks ago (11th) and have 30 days to return it without any re-stocking fee. My question would be, will they exchange it for a new model? But of course nobody knows yet what the price of the new ones will be. However they did knock off $100 bucks off of this one....
Russ

Reaction score
I bought my refurbished MBP spring 2010 and then they announced an updated line about 1 week later.

I could not return it but Apple refunded the difference in price without any questions. Great service in my opinion.

Option may be to wait and see if anything is announced in a week or so and decide if you want to keep your current model. Apple will then refund you the difference.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My opinion is this - you bought the machine you needed when you needed it. It will still fulfill those needs even though an updated or more desirable model comes out. If you keep lusting after the latest, you'll never be satisfied with what you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Looks like the new ones are out today! I'd return it if I were you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.