Two part problem - cannot rename files in Finder or type in iTunes

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have created a new user (admin) account on my iMac running 10.5.8 and have encountered several problems for which all my troubleshooting has failed.

First, I cannot rename files in this user account ONLY. I have repaired permissions, repaired disk from the startup disk, trashed the preference com.apple.finder (or something like that), logged in and logged out, and created another user account. When I attempt to get info, the screen flashes and the utilities and preferences folders pop open and the get info does not open.

I am not sure if the itunes issue is related or not. I reinstalled itunes when it did not open within this user account. It did not open in the new user account either - despite working fine in the other two accounts. It opens now, but I cannot type in the search box in the top right nor change titles of playlists. Here, at least, the word untitled is replaced by the cursor, but I cannot type at all. Clearly I can type in boxes as I am now.

Any help would be appreciated. I posted in Apple discussion and got no hits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Highlight a file icon and get info. What permissions do you have? You want read and write. You may need permissions for the enclosing folder to be able to rename files that are in it.

OP
S
Reaction score
When I select get info with command I or from the menu, the screens flash and the get info box does not open. This is unique to this new user account.

OP
S
Reaction score
Actually the get info stopped working in another user account and the disease seems to have spread. Other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have ... trashed the preference com.apple.finder (or something like that)

You just forgot the .plist ending. Try the one for Desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, ok.
com.apple.desktop.plist

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.