switched from pc and now need software

Reaction score
I just bought my first mac which is a macbook pro and need some help finding comparable software to some of the software I used on my pc.
I enjoy drawing pictures from scratch either using vector shapes or drawing pixel by pixel. I was able to do this with Paint Shop pro for Windows but I see they don't make a mac version.
Aside from Adobe Photoshop which is much too hard for me to understand, does anyone know of any mac software that will let me draw pictures from scratch and add various effects to my picture?
Also, I'm trying to find a good solitare game. I own solitare master by egames for windows and it comes with several games including using double and triple decks for the games. Does mac make anything similar?
I downloaded a free solitare game from the app store but I don't really like it.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
OP
S
Reaction score
Actually I did read that thread which was quite helpful.
I will have to search around for my other answers.
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, I'm trying to find a good solitare game. I own solitare master by egames for windows and it comes with several games including using double and triple decks for the games. Does mac make anything similar?
I downloaded a free solitare game from the app store but I don't really like it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The best solitaire suite for the Mac is published by "Masque". The latest version is one that they released in 2009 but can still be found in places like Office Depot, Staples, Wal-Mart, etc. The suite is actually two in one: Mac OS X version, and Windows version in the same box.

Take a look on their web site: Masque Publishing.

The price when I purchased it was $19.95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There are several Solitaire games on the Mac App Store, some of which are free. As for paint programs, there is actually a better selection on the iPad than on Mac, which is incredible.

However, you might want to check out

- The GIMP (has a fairly nice paint plugin)
- Paintbrush (looks simple)

Here is a list of others that might suite you:

mac paint free download (Mac)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would recommend having a look at the brand new Mac App Store (should be in your Dock). For your drawing needs, I'd recommend SketchBookExpress. Another few to look at - Pixelmator, ArtRage, and Corel Painter. There are certainly no shortage of apps available for Mac in this category.

Also, "Mac" doesn't make anything. Mac is the brand name of a line of computers made by Apple.

C

chas_m

For vector drawing, you might want to check out Artboard, new in the Mac App Store. Looks like a decent Illustrator replacement for $20 (has some limitations obviously!).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions. I haven't done much about purchasing or downloading any more programs from the app store because I had been thinking that perhaps I didn't buy a fast enough computer and I might see if I could exchange it for a different one.
I came to my final conclusion yesterday and exchanged my Core 2 Duo for an i7 machine and a bigger hard drive.
Now I can think about what I want to add to the machine so I'll look into those programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Ex Corel user so had to switch when I went MAC. Tried everything, even CS Illustrator which just has to be the benchmark at that price. The I found Artboard. Its for the MAC, Its so much simpler to use the interface & does eveything I did in Corel. Frankly for the money its difficult to beat. I do however have a file it ssems to have generated I cant get rid off. Doesn't effect anything but its in the Recent files & yet I cannot find it in Finder. Think a post on this forum might hhet an answer.

Reaction score
I believe adobe makes their software for both win and mac, so photoshop should work, I just rcently switched to mac, needed to upgrade my adobe dw program, called adobe and was able to just pay an upgrade price to a mac version, instead of purchasing full price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.