MacbookPro wireless issue

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time posting here so hopefully I'm asking in the right place. Also I have scoured this forum and the internet in general for a resolution to this issue but to no avail.

So, in the hopes that someone can help me:

1). My MacbookPro-13 will connect to my home wifi network but will not connect to the internet
2). All my other devices (Windows laptop, iPhone) have no problem connecting to the internet via my home wifi
3). My Macbook used to have no issue with connecting to my home wifi
4). My Macbook is still perfectly happy to connect to any other wifi network besides my own
5). My Macbook has no issue accessing the internet on my home network when connected directly to the (Netgear) router via ethernet

I've tried power-cycling everything, releasing/renewing my DHCP lease but nothing works.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Coops1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Ok so now let's add some detail... ;)

- What type of Macbook Pro? Specs? OS version?
- What type of router?
- What type of security? WPA, WPA2, WEP?

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok so now let's add some detail... ;)

- What type of Macbook Pro? Specs? OS version?
- What type of router?
- What type of security? WPA, WPA2, WEP?

OK it's a 2010 Macbook Pro 13 with 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4Gb RAM. The OS is Snow Leopard.

The router is a Netgear DG834 as supplied by my broadband provider (Virgin Media in the UK)

The security type is WPA I think

Thanks!
Coops1

OP
C
Reaction score
in fact that's it. I changed the security type from WEP to WPA2 and changed the password and somehow that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for your help!

Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Change it to WPA or WPA2 (preferably). Newer Macs sometimes have trouble with WEP and honestly WEP is really old and can be cracked in about 10 seconds by easily downloadable software. You might as well not even have security on at all if you're only using WEP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.