Macbook Clamshell Hinge?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13", OS X 10.6.6, 2.26 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDr3
Hi,

I have a 1 and a bit year old Macbook 13" in the white poly-carbon clamshell body (Unibody?).

There are signs of the "lid" cracking just in board of the hinge. The Macbook has not been subject to any form of abuse, just home to work travel in a rucksack every day.

The Macbook still works just fine but I am afraid that the poly-carbon shell will not last much longer.

So questions;
Is it possible to buy a new "Lid"?
Would fitting one of the "Hardshell" after market products be a cure or possible life extender?
Is it possible to repair the Poly-carbon "Lid", Epoxy as a glue?

Is this a "known" issue?

I love my Mac Book. I can not afford a new one. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Simes

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your MacBook covered by Apple care? If it is, make an appointment with the genius bar and take it on in. They'll replace the top cover lid for free as long as it has been determined that there is no accidental damage.

If it's not under Apple care, take it on in anyway and very politely speak with them about it. They might do it for free.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi CHSCAG,

Whilst not covered by AppleCare (we were advised by friends that Apples never break, so do not need the extended warranty), I have made an appointment for tomorrow at 17:00.
I will post details of the outcome here either tomorrow night or Wednesday whilst at work.

Many thanks for you response,

Simes

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Just Love Apple

So I made an Appointment at my Local Apple Store. 17:00 yesterday. What a great experience, I had never been to an Apple Store before, nice clean store, pleasant employees, only a short wait to be seen at the "Genius Bar".
Despite my Mac Book being out of warranty the Store Manager took the decision to extent the Apple warranty to cover the repair to the hinge of my Mac Book.
I should have my Mac Book back in a couple or three days.

This has been by far the most pleasurable computer shop experience ever. No one talked "down" to me, no one conducted two discussions at the same time (as often happens in computer stores).

Thanks for the good advice on this forum.

Simes

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great to hear your Apple store gave you the "royal" treatment. :) That's why we advised you to take it on in anyway. Have fun and visit us often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.