HELP PLEASE!!!! OSX Tiger re-install, won't go beyond disc 2

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum so first off, hello to all ;)
I'm in a bit of bad place with my iMac. Yesterday I wanted to do the erase and install on it, so I inserted my original installation discks that came with my iMac 2ghz Intel Core Duo. It installed disk 1 ok, but then when it starts instralling disk 2 it gets to a ceratin point and just stops installing, telling me there was an error and I should retry installation. So.... when I try and restart the computer, no matter what boot commands I give it, it simply just goes back to the OSX installation screen and requests disk 2. This is the only otpion I have available to me, and obviously disk 2 wont install so I'm left with uncomplete OSX install and my iMac :Confused:

I'm desperatily needing some help here, is there any possible way I can tell my computer to restart installation from disk 1, or even just access some disk utilities. What do I do? :Oops:

Hope you know the answer, and I would greatly appreciate your help.
Many thanks, O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-f Mact

So if you restart with holding down the 'c' key it goes to asking for install disk 2 ?? All i can suggest is to clean the 2nd install disk and try again.
If worse comes to worse you could buy the SnowLeopard disk for $29USD and install that on your Intel Mac. Might be the easiest and cheapest way out for you.

Do you have a bootable backup ?? You could boot off that and then run Disk utility to erase the HD to start again ...

Just a couple of things to look at.
If you need more answers be sure to come back :)

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your prompt reply.
I have tried all key commands when re-booting but it just ignores them and goes directly into the OSX installation setup and requests disk 2. I have tried inserting Leopard and rebooting on this, and again it just ignores it and goes straight to original installation window asking for disk 2 and spits out Leopard.
It's really furstrating, as it seems I can't go beyond anything except the disk 2.
Cheers, :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hmm well im at a loss. All the reading i have done, is i havnt found a answer. Google stuck on OS installer disk Mac and you will see what i mean.
The best suggestion i had seen was to ring Apple and see what they have to say. Sorry i came to a road block :(

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The reason it's asking for the second disc is probably because it's just registering as having a partially installed OS.
I am assuming it's when you put disc 1 back in that you can't get past the installer/request for disc 2? Is it spitting the disc out?
If it's not you can quit the installer from the file menu. I would do this, go to the file menu again and select disk utility and erase the drive completely.
From there I think Brent's suggestion about SL is a good one, though it' doesn't explain the issue you have.
It could well be that your disc drive is not functioning properly, and needs a clean at the very least, or replacing.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for the advice.
And yes I can say that things are looking better. When propmting me to insert disk 2, I instead inserted disk 1, then shut down and on reboot I held down the C button, which I tried many times before, but read on Apple website that best experience with these boot commands are just after the Apple chyme sound. So I retried this and it worked perfect, it booted from disk 1, and basically brought me back to the OSX installer, though this time on a fresh new install option. I immediately accessed the disk utility and I'm now performing a 1 pass erase of my hard drive, after this I'll try rebooting and installing Leopard directly :) Hopefully it's gonna be fine.
Thanks again guys, much help.
Best, O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Keep us posted. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Good news everyone :)
Managed to install disk 1 only and now it bots up and takes me straight to the Apple welcome animation screen :) I am guessing that the disk 2 components will be able to be installed directly from the disk once OSX is up and running, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes usually disc 2 contains extra applications, Apple Hardware Test etc. When the OS is up and running and updated, pop in disc two and open it and have a look through the contents. The two disc set was before the introduction of dual layer media.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.