how to keep the ibook running smooth...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
Hey guys!

I have questions regarding how to keep the ibook running smooth. I am up to date on all software upgrades available from apple. I use macjanitor b/c it was recommended. Is there a disk defrag option like on Windows? Someone recommended i reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything. i was like no thanks!!

any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
no need to reformat all the time. Just repair permissions. That is kind of like the defragmentation tool windowz has. Use the program called "disk utility" which is found in the utilitys folder in mac osX. U can do so every few months or when U think your mac has slowed down.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
macEfan said:
no need to reformat all the time. Just repair permissions. That is kind of like the defragmentation tool windowz has. Use the program called "disk utility" which is found in the utilitys folder in mac osX. U can do so every few months or when U think your mac has slowed down.

Good luck!

do it every 2 weeks or after a new install...
It is not the same as a defrag but it is what mac users use.. there are ways to defrag mac hard drives... but you have to pay for them... get them from version tracker if you want them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually os x defrags automatically after every install ("optimizing harddrive") but only file sizes up to 40MB. Anything larger it leaves alone.

Run a maintenance tool (OnyX, Cocktail, Macjanitor etc.) every so often, repair disk permissions and you should be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.