Macbook Pro Won't Wake Up

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro was closed and asleep the other day and when I opened it and went to wake it up, the hard drive and disk drive spun up but the screen and keys were completely unresponsive. I shut it down and now every time I go to boot, no matter what type of boot I try, the same thing happens, no screen and keys.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM, resetting SMC, booting up in pretty much every mode (safe mode, single user, as a target firewire disk, from install discs) and took the whole thing apart and cleaned it and made sure everything was connected properly. I have a macbook pro from summer of 08, I think it's OS 10.5.5 but could be wrong.

Would seriously love some help, all of my hopes and dreams are in this computer :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you performed the Apple Hardware Test? Dig out your Leopard DVD set and perform a hardware test with it. See this LINK. Post any errors back here. You could also try removing the hard drive from the machine and see if it will boot from the Leopard DVD.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I tried that already, still just a black screen. Also the light on the front of the macbook stays consistently lit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, then how about removing the hard drive to see if it will boot from the Leopard DVD?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My Macbook Pro was closed and asleep the other day and when I opened it and went to wake it up, the hard drive and disk drive spun up but the screen and keys were completely unresponsive. I shut it down and now every time I go to boot, no matter what type of boot I try, the same thing happens, no screen and keys.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM, resetting SMC, booting up in pretty much every mode (safe mode, single user, as a target firewire disk, from install discs) and took the whole thing apart and cleaned it and made sure everything was connected properly. I have a macbook pro from summer of 08, I think it's OS 10.5.5 but could be wrong.

Would seriously love some help, all of my hopes and dreams are in this computer :(
Do you have AppleCare?

Hope it isn't so, but my MBP had exactly the same symptoms. It ended up being the graphics card necessitating a Logic board replacement.
Thankfully it was covered by AppleCare.

Reaction score
Mine has done this before. I learned after it was because I had it connected to my tv and before I could open my MacBook to see the screen I had to shut it down disconnect it from my tv then reboot. I'm sure this isn't ure problem but I figured I would through it out there anywAys.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks everyone. no apple care and but I'll try taking out hard drive and booting from disk, I took out the hard drive to use in an external enclosure but it is partitioned and the enclosure keeps booting up to the windows partition not to the mac partition, which I can't figure out either... woo! thanks again

Reaction score
can you boot into open firmware? i only ask because you can avoid taking out the hdd if you can. the fewer times a mbp is apart the better ya know.

Reaction score
Mine has done this before. I learned after it was because I had it connected to my tv and before I could open my MacBook to see the screen I had to shut it down disconnect it from my tv then reboot. I'm sure this isn't ure problem but I figured I would through it out there anywAys.

Do you remember how you solved this issue. I'm fighting this one right now, and its due to being connected to the TV

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.