Split Mini Displayport question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (mid 2010)
I just bought my first Mac, a 27-inch iMac refurb. I can't get over the display. It's the best I've ever seen, nevermind used. I love it.

I'm wondering now if I can split the Mini Displayport, perhaps with something like this.

Ultimately I want my HDTV connected to the Mini Displayport as an extended monitor for the iMac. I also want my Win 7 Thinkpad connected, so I can Command+F2 between Apple and Windows environments.

I don't know if standard splitter will work, because on one Mini Displayport I'd be pumping out to the TV and on the other I'd be pumping in from my PC.

Has anyone done this or something similar, perhaps with a Mac Book?

Thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your iMac has two separate mdp ports. One is video in, one is video out. No, you're not going to plug one cable into the video out port and expect to get video in.

I have never yet seen a two way video port on any device; be it a TV, monitor, a/v receiver, or a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not to contradict . . but . . . I have the late 2009 27" iMac and it has a single Mini Display Port (combined in and out). As far as I can tell from the pics on the Apple site the 2010 model is the same. Not sure which the OP has.

However, I agree that it's very unlikely that adapter will work. Perhaps worth a go if you can return it if/when it doesn't work.

I think the difficulties will come because the adapter isn't smart enough (or maybe not even wired in the right way) to work out which device is an input and which is out and how to handle it when they are both present and on.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (mid 2010)
I have the late 2009 27" iMac and it has a single Mini Display Port (combined in and out). As far as I can tell from the pics on the Apple site the 2010 model is the same.

Correct. There's only one MDP on my June 2010 iMac.

I have never yet seen a two way video port on any device;

Actually, that's exactly what MDP is, a two-way video port. It is self-regulating, on a hardware level, so it knows it's getting video in when a laptop is connected. (See this thread about it.) And it knows when it needs to pump out when a second display or television is connected.

The question is whether it will know to do this if a splitter is installed. Perhaps the first question, is has anyway ever split a MDP, period. Then if so, does input/output toggle with the Command+F2 function ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, shiver me timbers. Guess I just "assumed" there were two separate ports. Learn somthin' new every day. Reckon I better do some studyin' up on this new fangled contraption.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.