APC UPS Back-UPS ES750 with Snow Leopard

Reaction score
How many of you are using a UPS Back-UPS with Snow Leopard, 10.6.6?

Is APC UPS Back-UPS ES 750 fully compatible with iMac using Snow Leopard 10.6.6? I am using the native Mac OS energy saver UPS in System Preferences to control the UPS, since APC doesn't offer software for OS X 10.6.6. Is your "time remaining" unsupported? Will the MAC OS actually shut down your computer according to your UPS settings in System Preferences?

Finally is the ES 570 powerful enough for a 21.5" iMac?

thanks, Kevin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless the software supports shut down (re: Powerchute) then, no. It will not automatically turn off the Mac in the event of a power failure.

APC has not updated their Powerchute for the Mac software in order to provide support for Snow Leopard. You can try it if you wish but according to forum posts, it eats CPU cycles. As far as the 750 VA rating on the unit, it should be enough to hold your Mac for a short while until you can shut it down manually.

Personally for a desktop unit like the iMac 21.5" machine, I would opt for one that was rated 1000 VA or higher. That would give you more time on battery until shut down.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. It appears that in Snow Leopard 10.6.6, under system Preferences, Energy Saver, UPS does have shutdown options for a USB UPS. I am just wondering if this does, in fact, work with my APC UPS.

I have read warnings about actually unplugging the UPS to test it--and I think that's right--but I could test it by flipping off the circuit breaker, but I'd like to see if anyone who has this can tell me that it does, in fact, work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would have to test it to find out. I'm not using a desktop machine so my UPS is quietly resting in my spare computer parts closet for now. :)

Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.