Keeping an iMac internally clean ...

Reaction score
Hi. Sometimes when I'm using certain applications and/or the internet, my iMac will get a little sluggish. And my screen will fade in and out. Anyone know what might be causing that? Is there software or something else that I could use to keep my iMac clean and working well? Thank you for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Needs to be in appropriate forum, if a mod could move it please.

If you still have your original disks for the machine you should have a hardware test disk, boot into that to see if there are any hardware problems it might pickup on. Also if you could post you mac specs, or model number and also which OS you are running that would be great.

Cheers
- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Nothing wrong with it being in this forum.

You can also run the cleanup routines in Onyx or Cocktail. You can also try repairing permissions in Disk Utility.

OP
R
Reaction score
Here's what I have:

I have a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Current memory is 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I'm running Mac OS X v. 10.4.11. This is all on a 24" iMac. The computer was bought in late '06.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I would also sugest looking into a ram upgrade to the 3 gig max. I am no expert by any means but that may help. :) along with the maintenance suggested. probably find an original apple memory upgrade on eBay for cheap

C

chas_m

I'm intrigued by your phrase "the screen will fade in and out." Can you clarify this in greater detail please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm intrigued by your phrase "the screen will fade in and out." Can you clarify this in greater detail please?

Wonder if the OP has Automatically reduce brightness before the screen goes to sleep checked in Energy Saver via System Preferences ?? @ OP something to look at unless there is some other evil there

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.