download vs copying app

Reaction score
I bought and downloaded Turbotax, which entitles me to additional downloads. I want to install it on another Macbook. Can I just move the Turbotax app from my applications folder to the other computer via usb drive? Or should I download again to the other computer?

Is that all that is required to install an app on a Mac? Moving the app to another computer's application folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
That would depend on the EULA. If you are allowed the program on one computer. If you are allowed more downloads of the same program then just download it to the other computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, TurboTax has a free on line version that you can access and use from any number of machines be they Mac, Windows, or Linux.

OP
J
Reaction score
move an app file

Can you answer the second part of my question? Is it possible to install any app by moving it from one computer to another, simply by copying it from the Applications folder on one Mac to a usb device and then pasting it to the Applications folder on another Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on the app. Most simple apps can be moved that way, however, some apps place files in various places that may not be easy to find.

If you're speaking of TurboTax, what does Intuit say? Can you legally download another copy after only paying for one? In other words, does the license allow it to be installed on more than one computer? If it does, the simple way is to download it again to the other machine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Generally speaking:

an app that is a drag and drop installation can be simply moved by drag and drop again.

an app that provides it's own installer pkg cannot be moved by drag and drop if you want it to function properly.

edit: either one should be done within the framework of the Eula you agreed to upon installing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
Now this is an answer, was going to say the same. Just remember how you installed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.