• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best HD camera for iMovie '09... or '11

Reaction score
Hi

I am upgrading my old DV video cameras to HD.

I bought a Canon HF200 based on the product's reviews. Now I find I must CONVERT the MTS files to .mov before I can use them. That process is extremely time consuming.

I'm wondering if there is an HD camera that records in DV or .mov or ANYTHING that does NOT need to be converted in order for iMovie to use.

Or, does anyone know if iMovie '11 works with MTS HD files?

Thanks.

Craig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
I had a similar issue when I uploaded my Sony MTS video files to iMovie 09 (now iMovie11).

The biggest problem I found is that during the conversion, Apples codec - AIC, converts the data to its own 'readable' file and during this conversion, after editing, I found that I lost the benefit of HD in a reduction in the quality of video (and lost surround audio too!). I have spoken to Apple and the codec is the main factor. Only Final Cut Pro has the appropriate codec that allows HD reproduction, but this program is not only very expensive, but is really aimed at the professional editor.

Nevertheless, I am just in the throws of buying Adobe Premiere Elements 9 as I understand that this will resolve the HD quality issue. I do wish that Apple would provide a codec that does not degrade the MTS HD files and that these are 'editable' in there native format.

Sorry I cant offer a direct solution, but whilst iMovie is a great editing platform it lacks the quality of a true HD finished product.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi daytrade. Thanks for the response!

Yikes! Are you saying, no matter what camera I use, iMovie does NOT allow me to produce/copy HD movies?

IF that's the case, is that why you're moving to Adobe Premiere Elements 9?

And, if that's the case, why Adobe and not Final Cut Elements (or Pro)?

Thanks in advance for your insights!!

Craig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
My own experience is that the MTS files during conversion lose the HD quality. I am not sure that this is the case for all video cameras but before I replace my Sony I thought I would try a different program. I have been trying to find a suitable editing program for many months and reading various reviews to try to educate myself. I did try Final Cut Express, but this has the same CODEC as iMovie. I understand Final Cut Pro has the CODEC to produce an HD video without loss but this is out of my budget!

I am going to test Adobe's program and see if the reviews are correct, as it seems a little daft to import HD to end up reducing it to standard definition??!!

Cheers
John

OP
F
Reaction score
John. I just edited HD in iMovie, saved as a HD .mov and posted it on youtube. It looks to be working!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.