MBpro suddenly running slow.

Reaction score
I have had my MBPro for around seven months now and have used it for nothing but checking my email and going to around six or seven sites.
( Boring use of a Mac right ? )
I'm puzzled by the sudden slowness that it has though. Tasks such as opening a ( small ) picture in Preview, or playing a song in the background while online results in a spinning pinwheel icon for around 7-8 seconds before anything happens.
From what i understand, Macs don't have to be defragged like PCs, but surely there is some sort of general housekeeping that needs to be done.

I notice that after I cleared my cache, the computer began lagging even worse.

What's going on ?

15" MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz I-5 4 GB with the latest updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I would check activity monitor see which process may be hogging the machine. Repair permissions, check login items under account user. Exit antivirus if any, those tend to run in the background once in a while and takes up resources.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am not running antivirus. When I bought this thing, I was told that Macs don't get viruses. :)

I'll check out Onyx. Thanks.

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to make this thing slow down. Everything is pretty much the way I had it on day one.

BTW I just tried a simple brush stroke in Painter. The lag is at least 2 seconds behind the stroke.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you open your Activity Monitor to see what's going on? (as was suggested in a previous reply) Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor.app

Look for any sign of heavy CPU usage. Post back and let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I have no idea what I'm looking for.
I cleaned the system with Onyx.
Everything checks out O.K.
I looked in the Activity Monitor, but all looks normal ( but the system is doing O.K. currently. )
I'll post back if I have anything happen again.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.