Xfree86 or XDarwin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Tried to install xFree86 the other day, using Fink. Fink is cool, cause it is sort of like ports on FreeBSD. Anyway.... I couldn't get XFree86 to install with Fink. So I went with the XDarwin. XDarwin worked, but it keeps crashing out when I try to run KDE. I know OSX is the windowmanager (basically) for Darwin... But does anyone use xfree86? Only reason I really wanted to use XFree86 if because of the gkrellm app. Any alternatives to gkrellm out there?

K

Kris

Fink is neet, but kinda confusing. But about XFree and XDarwin. XFree86 is the 'base system', and XDarwin is the the window server. I used to have KDE installed (but re-installed OS X, and haven't re-installed yet). I'm no expert, but as far as I'm concerned you'll need the whole Xfree package (system-xfree86, xfree86-base + xfree86-rootless), and not only XDarwin (you'll need all the libs and such). Here is more info about KDE. I don't know anything about the gkrellm app, sorry.

G

gatorparrots

It looks like gkrellm is available via fink:
Code:
gator% fink list | grep gkrellm
        gkrellm 1.2.13-3        System monitor stack for GTK.
        gkrellmouse     0.0.2-1 Gkrellm plugin - mouse odometer.

Did you try this: fink install gkrellm

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
yes, I tried that, but I thought you needed xfree86 for that.... I tried to install it via fink, and I couldn't get it to run....

When I try that command to install I get : "No packages to install"

So I would assume that I successfully installed it before, which I have tried to do.

Now when I try to run grkrellm from the command line I get this : "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"

Which I have to assume it is because I haven't gotten XFree86 installed correctly.

K

Kris

Just a thought, but try to remove XDarwin, and re-install the whole XFree86. It should work then...

G

gatorparrots

gkrellm is in the 10.2 unstable tree. Is your fink configuration set to look in the unstable tree? Are you running fink 0.5a?
/sw/fink/10.2/unstable/main/finkinfo/utils/gkrellm-1.2.13-3.info

D

dotzero

Just a thought. I had the same problem trying to run bluefish. The trick that got it to run was to open Xdarwin, then open the application in the background. Then you bring it into the forground.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.