Photo Booth freezes on me

Reaction score
When I try to take a photograph with PhotoBooth, I get the clicking noise and it says that it captured one photo, but in reality, no photo has been taken. There is no thumbnail and no new photo. Same thing with video: I get the 1-2-3 prompt, but then it doesn't actually record video. The program freezes after that. I can move around the window, but the image inside is frozen.

Any thoughts for troubleshooting? I've deleted preferences and it didn't help. I also deleted the program and reinstalled it to no avail.

I'm using Snow Leopard on a MBP, although this was also a problem before i upgraded to Snow Leopard.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
have you tried Repairing permissions in disk utility?

Reaction score
Tried everything

I have the same problem (freezes after taking picture - no picture shows up, etc)

I have deleted all the plists. I have repaired all permissions. I deleted photobooth and down graded to an earlier version which wouldn't work with this OS, but I then re-installed the Snow Leopard version of Photobooth (PB3.0) with Pacifist.

I have no idea what else to do?

Has anyone been able to fix this?

Also, I do have Blackops Dotmatrix installed and it does a similar thing. Acts like it is taking a picture, but does not write it to the disk.

Does anyone that knows about intimate software details (i.e. how isight writes to a file) know if there is a shared process that these two programs might use to write to disk that could be corrupted?

OP
O
Reaction score
I had to right click on Photobooth in my applications folder and check the preferences. Apparently, I wasn't listed as the owner with read and write privileges. Change that and see if it works. i spent so long trying to figure this out. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.