iMac screen death

Reaction score
Hi

I have just had a horrible experience with my 2008 iMac 24". While working on my machine the screen suddenly corrupted with a checkerboard pattern. When I rebooted I took a pic (see attached). Now when I reboot the screen is totally dead. No text or backlight, nothing.

The hard drive seems to make its familiar bootup noises with no odd rattles. In addition, the corrupted screen also appeared on my second monitor which makes me think its a graphics card issue not the screen itself.

Anyone seen this before? I fear this is going to cost a lot in repair bills :(

IMAG0054b.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone seen this before? I fear this is going to cost a lot in repair bills

I'm afraid you may be correct. Since the external monitor shows the same thing it may be the graphics that have gone out. Some iMacs have a separate graphics card which can be pulled and replaced, but most don't. I believe your model is one that the graphics are surface mounted to the logic board which may mean a new logic board.

Anyway, if your machine is still in warranty (Apple care) let Apple deal with it. If it's not in warranty, then you have a decision to make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Definitely contact Apple though, even if out of warranty.
If they have record of this being relatively common, they will sometimes replace as a good will gesture.
Don't hold your breath though, it really is random, but if you don't ask, you don't get.
A friend of mine got his screen replaced FOC even though the iMac was 3 years old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(Early 2011) MBP 15" 8gb ram/ 2ghz intel i7 27" iMac 3.2ghz Intel i3 4gb ram 1TB HD iPhone 4 16GB UL
man... sorry to hear that... i just replaced my 2008 24" imac a week ago with a new 27" but im keeping both hahaha Apple is really good with customer care... the HD failed on my 24" and they replaced it even though it was 5 months out of warranty.... u coulda had a PC that got a virus in 2 weeks of its purchase & had a real nice paper weight....

OP
D
Reaction score
I agree, although you can simply open up and replace the screwed up part in a PC (which ive done many times in the past).

I love my mac but its a proper 'black box'.

Did you have 3 year applecare?

Reaction score
Im having the exact same problem

I searched for "checkerboard pattern" and got here.
When I saw your attached pic I said "self, that's your screen to a T". I'm hoping that when I bring it in for service this Sunday I don't have a coronary. Sadly even if I had bought the extended "Applecare" I'd be a month outside it.
I tried to run the AHT but I couldn't see through the pixels.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello

Lucky for me I had an extended warranty as I bought the machine as a student (I didn't know this when i initially posted). Apple replaced the graphics card which worked for a week, it then blew again so they replaced the card and logicboard.

Its been ok since (touches wood).

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.