Connect MBP to 17" Apl Studio Display?

Reaction score
Greetings to those far wiser than I.

I have been skating on thin ice with a first generation dual processor G4 that is currently manufacturing indications that the mother board may be going. A friend actually *gave* me a Mac Book Pro that is several years old. Well, the screen got badly damaged (due to an accident, but also because it was so as flimsy as plastic wrap) and the DVD drive was pretty much shot when I got it. Neither repair has been addressed (yet) and I really don't have the cash to put into it (before anyone gets on his high horse about maintenance, I am BROKE and on food stamps so please spare me any admonishing -- yes, I have a chip on my shoulder about this, so I ask you folks to at least respect my unpleasant and unfortunate situation).

What I would like to know -- and have had little luck investigating so far -- is whether there is a way to connect my existing 17" Apple Studio Display to the MPB so I can byass the laptop display altogether. The monitor, described below, still works fine and I see no reasno to dispense with it if it can be repurposed -- I will only use the MBP as a "desktop" computer until I can afford to get the screen fixed, etc. (And who knows when that will be...)

Here are the specs re: my Apple Studio Display:
Display Type: CRT
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 99 Hz
Depth: 16-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Your input is greatly appreciated! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There are a couple of ways you can do it.

One is just simply with an external monitor, and the other is in clamshell mode with an external keyboard, mouse and display.

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

As for the display connection, it is a matter of what type of display ports the MBP and the display have.

How to Use a Monitor with a MacBook Pro | eHow.com

How to connect your MacBook to an external monitor?

Connect Macbook or Macbook Pro to an External Monitor with Mini DisplayPort

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What I would like to know -- and have had little luck investigating so far -- is whether there is a way to connect my existing 17" Apple Studio Display to the MPB so I can byass the laptop display altogether.

If I have my info correct...your 17" CRT Apple Studio Display has a VGA video port...so you would need a video adapter (VGA to whatever video-out port your MBP has). Apple generally sells them for around $19-$29 dollars...but you may be able to find them cheaper somewhere else.

Then do what "6string" recommended...using this MBP in "clamshell" mode.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies and advice; I will follow through. Much appreciated. Best regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for the replies and advice; I will follow through. Much appreciated. Best regards.

You should stop by more often...it's been about 3 weeks!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Would have responded sooner but I have been very ill and simply unable to, given life's myriad other distractions. Hope nobody got offended. I do appreciate the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would have responded sooner but I have been very ill and simply unable to, given life's myriad other distractions. Hope nobody got offended. I do appreciate the help.

Just teasing.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.