Intel iMac (Yonah) Core Duo OSX Tiger discs

Reaction score
I have an iMac that somebody gave me. It is an Intel iMac (Intel Yonah processor) Core Duo 20-inch and I am looking for the OSX Tiger install discs.

When searching for these discs, for example, on eBay, what should I look for?

I read that the OSX Tiger for Intel based Macs was made only for Macs shipped from Apple, that there are no retail versions of OSX Tiger for Intel based Macs. I read that the only retail version of OSX Tiger is made only for PPC Macs and not the Intel based models. Is this true?

So again to my first question... if I look for OSX Tiger for my Intel based iMac are the discs machine specific? For example if it is for iMac Intel Core Duo will it work on all three models 17-inch 20-inch and 27-inch. And are there different models of the 20-inch Intel Core Duo iMacs, do I need different discs for these different models, if there are other models?

Thanks in advance for your help. Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome o the forums.

Most discs sold on eBay are extremely model specific and will work with the precise model they came with only. Tiger is no longer supported by Apple and you can expect to pay up to $60 for the black retail full install DVD and be aware it MUST be for an Intel machine as there are different versions of Tiger, Intel and PowerPc.

As a suggestion spend $29 and purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6 from Apple online. When you get the discs, format the drive and zero if you wish, install and then u8pdate Snow Leopard to OS X.6.6.

Also if you go to the Apple web site and download the user guide for your model iMac if you did not receive this.

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#desktopcomputers

OP
J
Reaction score
Do I need the original OSX Tiger install discs?

Was just wondering if I need the original OSX install discs to install Snow Leopard? Will it check for my discs during install?

Mac OSX Tiger is installed on the hard disk, I believe.

How do I do a fresh (clean install [deleteing the original installation of Tiger]) install of Snow Leopard, do I need a previous version of OSX on the iMac in order to install Snow Leopard?

Also, how do I reinstall Snow Leopard if I wish to do that in the future?

Will the retail version of Snow Leopard support all of my hardware?

Thanks in advance for your time... jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hardware may be supported. Do a Google for hardware of supported by Snow Leopard. You do not need any previous version of OS X to install Snow leopard.

To install boot from he L isk holding down 'C' after the chime, select language and go to Utilities in the Menu Bar and select Disk Utility and you can format and partition the drive if need be.

Back to the installer and run and then update.

http://www.macintouch.com/specialreports/snowleopard/slfaq.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.