• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie in keynote

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
I have imported a short movie from iMovie into Keynote. However, I seem to be limited as to the duration. Is there any way of having the movie longer than 60 seconds, other than splitting it into different ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
How did you import from iMovie to Keynote? I can't see an option for that in iMovie6/11.
Aside from that, I have several movies/videos in a Keynote presentation in excess of 10 minutes or so with no problems.

Try exporting the movie to Quicktime, then import into Keynote.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
I created an iMovie project, then clicked on Share - Media Browser - Publish, then once that was done I was able to drag and drop the movie into Keynote. I'm using Keynote 08. But my problem was that I couldn't get Keynote to play the full length of movie. I have exported Keynote to Quicktime in order to make a DVD but not from iMovie to Quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Share - Media Browser - Publish
Well it should work, that's what it's designed for. Try the export to Quicktime route, see if that works.

Reaction score
Ouch... A Mac... This would a lot easier to solve if it was a PC to be honest. You could try to go to your display settings, and find a video output section. If that doesn't help, maybe a wire wasn't plugged all the way in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maybe a wire wasn't plugged all the way in.
Hmmm...what wire would that be? Wires don't feature anywhere in this problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
I'm getting really frustrated and still can't get this to work. I have turned my movie into a Quicktime movie and imported it into Keynote. However, in order to get the movie to start I have to "Start movie after transition" in the Build Inspector. Then I have to "Stop Movie after Build 1" in the Build Inspector, but you are limited to a maximum length of 60 seconds after Build 1. What am I doing wrong? Can I ask Mighty Gem how you have managed to have movies in Keynote that are in excess of 10 minutes? What did you do that I'm not doing? Help!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
I have just found out that if I put in a movie at the BEGINNING of my slide show it plays the full length automatically, no problem. It is when I am inserting it in the middle somewhere the problems occur. So I still need help please.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
I'm experimenting all the time and I have now found that if I put transition on to click on the slide containing the movie, it will play. However it does, of course, not go on to the next slide without automatic transition which is no good whatsoever. Still stuck!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I ask Mighty Gem how you have managed to have movies in Keynote that are in excess of 10 minutes? What did you do that I'm not doing? Help!
Not sure really. I have some movies that start automatically after transition, and some that that don't start until I click.

Then I have to "Stop Movie after Build 1" in the Build Inspector,
Why are you doing that? That sounds like why you are limited to 60 seconds, because you are telling the movie to start(Build 1) and then telling it to stop after 60 seconds(Build 2). Just omit that Build 2, and the movie should play to the end and just stop. Then click to go to the next slide.

However it does, of course, not go on to the next slide without automatic transition which is no good whatsoever.
Are you saying that it won't transition to the slide after the movie automatically? You'll have to tell it to transition automatically after xxx, wher xxx is the run time of the movie. However, I think that there is a time limit for that.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
If I omit Build 2, Build 1 doesn't work [in the middle of a presentation] which is why I am forced to "Stop movie after Build 1". And there is a time limit for transitions so I can't enter xxx as the runtime for the movie. I think I am forced to split the movie up into sections and overlap them as best I can.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
Guess what! After lots of research on the internet I have found a solution. It works as long as the individual video doesn't last longer than 10 minutes.
1. Inspector 'Document' pane: Presentation: Normal
2. Inspecgtor 'Slide' pane: Start Transition: Automatically - and set the delay to approximately the length of the video [maximum 600 seconds].
I hadn't realised the delay could go up to 600 seconds. I thought it was only 60. And, hey, it works! I don't have to bother with the Build 1, Build 2 business at all as the movies starts automatically.
From one very happy bunny!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hadn't realised the delay could go up to 600 seconds.
Neither did I, thanks.

C

chas_m

Interesting. I stick movies into my slideshows all the time, but I don't ever use the Build menu at all -- I just drag and drop an MP4 movie into a slide (anywhere in the slideshow, doesn't matter).

When I get to that slide, the movie plays -- and when it's done, I advance to the next slide (I use Keynote Remote on my iPhone). Never a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's what I normally do, with occasionally a build just to delay the start.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.