Problem with Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
I have been using Mail for a year with no problems. Now, when I click on 'Get mail', a pop up window asks for the password fro each account. Mail never did this before.
I have three earthlink and one hotmail account on Mail. I have tried entering the passwords and checking 'save to keychain' but Mail continues to ask for the password each time. I have gone into preferences and everything seems to be set properly. After entering the passwords, Mail does not get the mail.

I am using Thunderbird as my primary email program and it works fine, no problems. I use Mail as an archive. Both programs are set to NOT delete the mail from the server until the mail is deleted from the programs.

Thanks for any help,
Larry H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have a similar problem with Mail and Entourage. My solution was to open only one at a time and not both at the same time.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quin,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't use Entourage so that's not the problem on my computer.

Larry H

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see that no one seems to have an answer to my problem.

Can anyone tell me if I can delete Mail and reinstall? Would that help? How would I go about doing that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure that your keychain entries aren't corrupt? I had the same problem with Airport some time back and traced it to a bad keychain entry.

Sometimes deleting the keychain entries for mail passwords or Airport and starting over will solve the problem. You might look into that before reinstalling mail.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,

I'll try that.

Larry H

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My problem with mail has fixed it's self! I did nothing that I know of and when last checked it works just fine.

Ah, the magic and mystery of computers!

Larry H

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.