Trackpad click won't work properly

Reaction score
My touchpad on my MBP 13" isn't behaving properly. Lets say I have a Safari window open. If I click the red button to close it, sometimes it will work as it would (closing the window), but many times the touch of the touchpad won't register at all until I move the cursor from the selected window, click a different window or application, and then come back to the original window I wanted to close - then it will close it as it should. It does the same with open tabs.

The touchpad was replaced, even though it seemed to be a software problem. It is still does the same randomly. I did a fresh install of the OS- still no effect.

This goes for taps as well as depressing the trackpad button physically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Can you use an external keyboard and mouse if so try to reset SMC and PRAM if that does
not fix it then I would suspect a logic board or the connection to it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks! It did not help.
To make the story even more weird: i managed to fix this problem just once by reinstalling the OS. It worked until I did another reinstall. I am out of ideas! The only thing I might think of and that seems to make any sense to me is if the OS installation CD is damaged and some of the drivers are installed corrupted. The problem is so annoying that i am thinking of selling a laptop I have bought just a few months ago. I love everything about it, but the touchpad drives me crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You make it sound like it's still under warranty.... if so, a trip back to Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You make it sound like it's still under warranty.... if so, a trip back to Apple?

I agree if under warranty let them do their job you sort of paid for it in the cost
of the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.