Screen "half" broken..

Reaction score
Hi everyone, since this is my first post I wanted to mention I've read threads from this forum for a long time but I have just recently created this account to be a part of this awesome community.

Now for my problem. About 3 weeks ago for no reason my 2008 Black 13" macbook's screen started to act funny. The top half is fine but the bottom half is where my issues lie. The bottom half starts fading and isn't usable unless I move my screen around, can take me 5 - 10min to find a good position where the screen won't mess up. Some times even when I find a positioning for the screen a line or two of pixels won't work.

I love my computer but I think the $400-$800 Apple is asking for a screen repair is out of the question since I could buy a better computer for that price in modern times.

Looking for some home remedies for my problem.. Since the screen still works I was hopping something could be done out side the realm of purchasing a new screen.

thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like a bad connection to the LCD, perhaps a pinched cable. There are several cables including the one that carries the video signals which snake up through the hinge area. You may be able to repair it yourself.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up their step by step instructions for changing out your LCD. That will give you some idea on how to take the machine apart and possibly be able to see what's causing the problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
It sounds like a bad connection to the LCD, perhaps a pinched cable. There are several cables including the one that carries the video signals which snake up through the hinge area. You may be able to repair it yourself.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up their step by step instructions for changing out your LCD. That will give you some idea on how to take the machine apart and possibly be able to see what's causing the problem.

Thanks a lot for that link, the information looks useful. I'll try out some possible fixes using the guides there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.