Need help streaming my FLIP videos to my ATV.

Reaction score
Wondering if someone could help me out on this. I just bought a 3rd generation Flip video. I have no problem importing and playing the videos in itunes. But, when I try to stream these videos to my ATV, I can't seem to get it to work. When I first imported the videos into itunes, I got an error that said something like "the files weren't synched to the ATV because it cannot play these files."

According to Flip's specifications, it uses H.264 video compression, AAC audio compression and MP4 format. The resolution is 1280 x 720. I think those are the same specs that ATV uses.

Oh, my ATV is a 40GB version running software version 3.0.2.

Am I doing something wrong or will I need to convert the videos to a different format or resolution in order to get them to play on my ATV?

Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll look into the ATV Flash. I did find another possible solution, but still having some issues. Previously I had installed Boxee on the ATV and I can use Boxee to access the movies, and it plays them. The only problem is that it plays them in slow motion, well the picture is in slow motion, but the sound is normal speed. I was wondering if this was due to the wireless connection, so I used WinSCP to install one of the movies onto the ATV itself and then access it through Boxee to take out the wireless connection all together. But, when I did that, it still played in slow motion so it doesn't seem to be the wireless connection. Is it possible that the ATV is just not capable of processing the 720P resolution video file at full speed? Or is it something with the software and ATV Flash will fix the issue?

Thoughts???

OP
J
Reaction score
Hmmm. Thanks for the input 4Hummer. Wonder what's going on with my system then. Can you clarify how you're streaming your movies? Are you streaming your movies to Boxee or XBMC or using the ATV to play them? Or are you talking about streaming the movies from itunes (renting them)? I've done that once and it works fine, but it has to buffer the file for a little while before it starts to play. Also, do you have the new black ATV or the older version like I have?

Not sure what else I can do on my end to try to figure this out. I suppose I can just convert all the videos, but that takes time and requires more disk space. If anyone has any suggestions on what may be wrong or things that I can look into, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I use the Apple TV/ITunes to play all my movies, And yes I do have to convert most of the files, I use a program called Video Drive it's nice as it adds the album artwork, meta tags, episode ID (for tv shows) and puts it into your itunes. Handbrake is a bit faster tho)

Video Drive also has "hot folders", You can set it up that as Soon as a file is finished downloading Video Drive will put it in its queue and start converting, (Program isn't free tho.... around $25.00, but I find it easier to use than handbrake due to the tagging and organization into Itunes)

Seems all my IMac does is download and convert video. I've been thinking about getting a cheap used MAC Mini for the sole purpose of converting video

Downloads go to the local internal hard drive, Videos get converted to an external hard drive,

All I have to do is Delete the files from the internal drive after I have verified the conversion and video quality. Or simply Remove the torrent from my client also deletes them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.