• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipelin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipeline
AppleInsider | iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipeline
While conflicting rumors have described both a larger screen and a smaller, cheaper iPhone model purportedly planned for this summer, one connected industry expert tells AppleInsider that Apple is also working to expand its tablet offerings with a Retina Display iPad 3 and new device that may be either a smaller iPad or larger iPod touch.
Funny. We get ipad 3 rumours before ipad 2 is out. I dunno about this.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I find this particular quote from the article to be extremely humorous!

"Given the company's regular criticisms of competitor's half-sized tablet offerings, Apple will almost certainly not deliver a tweener iPad with a 5 to 7 inch screen size."

Apple repeatedly and pointedly dissed Netbooks, then released the 11 MBA which is probably the best Netbook ever.
Will Apple come out with an iPad mini? I hope so, but they probably won't. Regardless, which ever it is, what they have said previously about small tablets won't be a factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I really don't know if I'd put the MBA in the same category as a netbook honestly.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'd call the ipad more of a netbook replacement then the MBA is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I really don't know if I'd put the MBA in the same category as a netbook honestly.

I wouldn't either. I have never seen or used a netbook that isn't just horrible in one way or another. The MBA isn't a netbook, it's just a smaller version of a macbook, but is still in the same, or even smaller size comparison to current netbooks. I can go on, but I think the majority knows the key differences.

As for ipad 3 rumors, I don't care about reading them considering we haven't even gotten the ipad 2 yet!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to belabor the point, and really there is no one definition for what constitutes a net book. The following is from wikipedia:

Netbooks are a category of small, lightweight, legacy-free, and inexpensive laptop computers.
At their inception in late 2007 — [1] as smaller notebooks optimized for low weight and low cost[2] — netbooks omitted certain features (e.g., the optical drive), featured smaller screens and keyboards, and offered reduced specification and computing power. Over the course of their evolution, netbooks have ranged in size from below 5" screen diagonal[3] to 12".[4] A typical weight is 1 kg (2–3 pounds). Often significantly less expensive than other laptops,[5] by mid-2009, some wireless data carriers began to offer netbooks to users "free of charge", with an extended service contract purchase.[6]
In the short period since their appearance, netbooks have grown in size and features, now converging with new smaller, lighter notebooks. By August 2009, when comparing a Dell netbook to a Dell notebook, CNET called netbooks "nothing more than smaller, cheaper notebooks," noting, "the specs are so similar that the average shopper would likely be confused as to why one is better than the other," and "the only conclusion is that there really is no distinction between the devices."[7] Netbooks now typically use Windows 7 Starter which Microsoft sells at a lower price but restricts to lower spec hardware.[citation needed]

The 11 inch MBA could be considered to be a net book because it is a) small and lightweight, b) lacks an optical drive, and c) excels at providing an ultraportable platform for on the go wireless and Internet access.

Alternatively, you could argue that it isn't a net book because it isn't dirt cheap and relatively brain dead. I tend to fall into the camp that believes a small fish is still a fish and a small notebook is still a notebook. Essentially differentiating between netbooks and notebooks is an artificial distinction, and not really worth arguing in my opinion.

I think that Apple has neatly bracketed the market niche held by netbooks with the iPad and 11 in MBA, with some but not total overlap. Brilliant thinking In my opinion on their part. All of which is a long winded way of saying I put absolutely no credence in Apple's defaming of a form factor. When and if they release a product solution they will be able to truly say the concept was never bad, but no one else had ever executed it in a way that worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still disagree. There is about a 1000% difference between what most people consider a "netbook" and the MBA. It's not even close.

The iPad is Apple's answer to the netbook. The MBA is Apple's answer to the ultraportable notebook.

To call the MBA a netbook is insulting to what it really is I think. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still disagree. There is about a 1000% difference between what most people consider a "netbook" and the MBA. It's not even close.

The iPad is Apple's answer to the netbook. The MBA is Apple's answer to the ultraportable notebook.

To call the MBA a netbook is insulting to what it really is I think. :)

Agreed. It has to be 1000% better. After all it has OSX instead on Windows. . . :)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Whoa, iPad 3 with retina display. I totally didn't see this coming!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I understand what you were going for razormac. Your point was perfectly valid and got derailed by something that was neither here nor there.

To your valid point, I remember Steve Jobs dissing video on ipod sized devices. Same concept you were referring to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Now, to get in on the mba argument (which is my favorite laptop of all time and what I'm typing on), I think it falls under both categories. Its a thin laptop and also the greatest and most capable netbook ever made.

And I think its pretty obvious that Apple's idea of the 11" mba was as a netbook alternative to all the Dells that were so popular a year ago. How is that even a question? Seems about more obvious than the sky being blue (though today it's kinda grey).

I do think the ipad has been a game changer though and redefined what a netbook can be. In my mind it even made the 11" mba obsolete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean besides the fact that the MBA is more than a year old right (first released in Jan 2008)? So the argument that it was developed to counter the Dells from a year ago really doesn't work.

As a matter of fact. the MBA really was around before netbooks were evenly widely available or popular.

And if we're using Wikipedia as the source to define this, here it is:
MacBook Air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The MacBook Air is a line of Apple ultraportable Macintosh notebook computers that introduced Apple's aluminum unibody enclosure.

Just saying. :p I mean if you want to point out someone as being wrong, at least have the facts right Chris. That's an obvious thing to do, at least as obvious as the sky being blue. ;)

I will 100% agree with the rest of what you said about the MBA however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
You mean besides the fact that the MBA is more than a year old right (first released in Jan 2008)? So the argument that it was developed to counter the Dells from a year ago really doesn't work.

As a matter of fact. the MBA really was around before netbooks were evenly widely available or popular.

And if we're using Wikipedia as the source to define this, here it is:
MacBook Air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just saying. :p I mean if you want to point out someone as being wrong, at least have the facts right Chris. That's an obvious thing to do, at least as obvious as the sky being blue. ;)

I will 100% agree with the rest of what you said about the MBA however.

I specifically referenced the new 11" mba. I've had an mba for 2 years, I think I realized its been around for a while.

So you completely disagree that the 11" mba was a reaction to the recent popularity of netbooks? So then why did they make it smaller?
I guess it was just random chance and had nothing whatsoever to do with the explosion of the smaller sized netbook market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I specifically referenced the new 11" mba. I've had an mba for 2 years, I think I realized its been around for a while.

So you completely disagree that the 11" mba was a reaction to the recent popularity of netbooks? So then why did they make it smaller?
I guess it was just random chance and had nothing whatsoever to do with the explosion of the smaller sized netbook market.

Yes, I'm saying it has nothing to do with it.

Apple is not a company that has ever done anything just because someone else is. They define categories, they don't play catch up.

MBA is an ultraportable, full featured notebook. They offer two sizes. No different than offering multiple sizes of MBPs that can meet the needs of different people.

And netbooks aren't nearly as popular as you make out if you look at overall market share data. Another interesting fact is 60% of netbooks never leave the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I really need to have someone block me from going to these sites because I have a VERY hard time when it comes to new technology. I'm always waiting for the newest tech and yes I do know I'll be waiting forever because there's always something newer. I finally got my girlfriend to wait 4 months to get the iPad 2(which I also bought her for Valentines day) and now I see this rumor and it upsets me greatly lol !!!

I'm really hoping after I buy the iPad 2 that it is not correct, because I know I'll end up selling my iPad 2 for a loss just to get it! Ugh....dang my stupidity[that i will have to live with the rest of my life].

Reaction score
And netbooks aren't nearly as popular as you make out if you look at overall market share data. Another interesting fact is 60% of netbooks never leave the house.

Let's not forget that netbooks aren't really better at anything…especially when they run Windows, or even full-scale versions of Linux (such as Ubuntu and openSUSE). Battery life in my experience has been decent, but not the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.