Temporary files

Reaction score
I'm new to Mac so maybe a naive question. On my old PC, I allowed temporary files to build up and got to a point where it was a massive job to work through them and delete them. I am determined not to allow this to happen now, but where do I start? I can find no 'disc clean-up' facility andf I want to keep on top of things.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your Mac pretty much maintains itself. It will run scripts that automatically purge caches and temp files if you let it run overnight. If you'd feel more comfortable running maintenance manually, check out:

Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks cwa - "run scripts that automatically purge caches and temp files if you let it run overnight" - can you explain that more fully perhaps - for a simple pensioner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
The OS X Operating system comes with 3 maintenance scripts called Daily - Weekly - Monthly and they perform basic maintenance tasks for the operating system.
They run automatically and they will take care of temporary files, cache etc.
They are also known as ' cron ' jobs ( Don't ask me where that name comes from, but I guess it is a Unix thing )

The Onyx application can be used when more in depth maintenance tasks are required.
I run Onyx like 3 times a year maximum.

if you download Onyx, make sure you select the correct version for your operating system.

If you have more questions ... ask away..... and enjoy your Mac.

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agreed with McBie. Your Mac will not require anywhere near the amount of maintenance we put into keeping our Windows machines running smoothly.

I might run Onyx a couple of times more often than McBie. But, I really only run Onyx when I notice a slow down in the system now. For my usage patterns, that might be once every 2-3 months or so. The other thing I do is Reset Safari maybe once every couple of months to clear it out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks folks - glad to see that my Mac is doing things for me - no time to become a computer expert. I have downloaded Onyx also and will start using it soon.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks folks - glad to see that my Mac is doing things for me - no time to become a computer expert. I have downloaded Onyx also and will start using it soon.

Use it sparingly - those caches are actually there for good reason. Personally, I wait until I have reason to believe that it's needed. Usually that comes out to about two-to-three times a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If you shut your machine down regularly, those scripts might need a prompt. You can run them from the terminal by typing

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

You will be prompted for your password. The weekly and monthly maintenance only has to be done weekly or monthly. The daily is done every time you reboot your Mac, or is done late at night if you leave it on.

As for temporary files, many scripts leave them in the recycle bin. Occasionally when you empty your recycle bin, you'll see them there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They are also known as ' cron ' jobs ( Don't ask me where that name comes, but I guess it is a Unix thing )
From the Wikipedia article:
The name cron comes from the word "chronos", Greek for "time".
Also, the periodic maintenance scripts have moved to launchd and away from cron (see here). Not that something like this will matter to an end user but something to note ;).

Reaction score
thanks to all for clarifying the built-in script maintenance. I'm a new convert to the OS X (2 days and counting), so it's all a learning curve for the foreseeable future.

I still use Windows PCs for work so some of the bad habits/practices remain....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
Please, two questions from a very technically challenged 'switcher':

1)
It will run scripts that automatically purge caches and temp files if you let it run overnight.
By "let it run overnight" do you mean leaving my MacBook powered on with its cover open (in the raised position) overnight?? Or do you mean powered on but with the cover closed (putting it in sleep mode)??

2)
If you shut your machine down regularly, those scripts might need a prompt. You can run them from the "terminal" by typing

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
What is the "terminal"? Where is it? How would I find my way to it?

Thank you all for your patience and expertise.

Judy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
1) By "let it run overnight" do you mean leaving my MacBook powered on with its cover open (in the raised position) overnight??
Yes
2) What is the "terminal"? Where is it? How would I find my way to it?
Go to your Applications folder, then Utilities, Terminal will be in there. Be aware that you must be logged in as an administrator account for that sudo command listed above to work. (NB - you shouldn't really be running as an Administrator account all the time, its better to have a Standard user account)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.