• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning AVI files in Toast v10

Reaction score
I am trying to burn AVI files of a movie in Toast 10 Titanium, but when I pull the files into Toast I get the folowing message " *.AVI was not added because a required codec is missing (XVID)"

What am I doing wrong? When I googled xvid I'm told that that codec is not available for the mac yet ???

Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
What section of Toast are you putting them into?
If they play and you are just putting them to disc as a back up, you can burn them as a data disc in Toast without issue.

OP
P
Reaction score
What section of Toast are you putting them into?
If they play and you are just putting them to disc as a back up, you can burn them as a data disc in Toast without issue.
I chose "Video" and then chose "DVD-Video" then "add" then pick up my files it goes no further than that message.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Does your DVD player natively support AVI playback?
If so you can burn them as data and they will play.
If not you're going to need to convert them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Does your DVD player natively support AVI playback?
If so you can burn them as data and they will play.
If not you're going to need to convert them.
I tried to play the avi files on my blue ray player with no success. So I used Kigo Video Converter to change them to mpeg and they were accepted by Toast and easily encoded and burnt to DVD. Hooray!!!

Reaction score
IMovie Conversions

Does anyone have a software suggestion for converting QuickTime to AVI or MPEG? I'm working on a couple of instructional videos using IMovie and KeyNote converting to QuickTime. I want to be able to play the videos on a DVD/BLU RAY player. Thanks.

mrsgoodcash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can export the Quicktime movie as mpeg directly from Quicktime.

Reaction score
Thanks !

thanks for the input - new at navigating around a MAC. Love the software. Used to working with Cyber Director and Sony.

Another quick question for which I can't find the answer:
IDVD will not allow me to change the name of a project.
I've quit the program and started new projects but keeps
defaulting to original disc title "My Great DVD". Already
burned 2 DVDs and she just won't play with me.
What am I missing?

Thanks, mrsgoodcash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to change by going into project info from the project menu. From there you can type the name you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.