Need help with my new hard drive

Reaction score
I just bought a Iomega Blackbelt Edition 1TB External Hard Drive. I want to put all my songs and photos onto the hard drive. How can I do this to free space on my computer?

Reaction score
Here is how to move all of your photos in iPhoto onto your external hard drive, while saving how they are organized:
10014: Export iPhoto Folders to Back Up Drive

Moving all of your music in iTunes onto your external hard drive is much easier. Just drag the iTunes folder onto the icon for your external hard drive, This is the path to that folder:

This is how you get there:
[hard drive icon] --> Users folder --> [your user name] --> Music --> iTunes folder

(More technically, the path is: ~/Music/iTunes folder)

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, but sooner or later my first back up will get deleted right? What happens if I need files from that first back up? And also can I secure my harddrive with a password?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine backups are incremental. And as long as the drive you're using to backup to is large enough, you shouldn't have to worry about filling it up any time soon.

And password protecting a hard drive is a good way to lose all your data when you forget the password. My advice, don't do it unless you're storing Atomic Secrets on the drive.

Reaction score
Okay, but sooner or later my first back up will get deleted right? What happens if I need files from that first back up? And also can I secure my harddrive with a password?

As long as your backup hard drive is at least as big, or bigger, than the drive you are backing up, you will *never* have any files deleted so that they are completely gone.

The way that Time Machine works is that when the backup drive becomes full (assuming that it is as large, or larger than the drive you are backing up), and you go to backup more recent versions of files that already exist on the backup drive, the only thing that it ever deletes is older versions of those same files. It never deletes the most recent versions of files on your hard drive.

Files on your backup drive that have never changed (or been deleted from the drive you are backing up) are also never deleted.

Users think that as a file ages it becomes more likely that it will be deleted by Time Machine, and that simply isn't true. Only older versions of files for which newer versions have been backed up are candidates for deletion as they age.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay. I understand this so far. Another question. I am running out of space on my computer. What do I do with everything that is taking up space? Do I delete it and depend on my harddrive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.