changing icons with LiteIcon Question

Reaction score
I'm using LiteIcon to have some fun icons around the computer. Some function. Some don't even after restarting. Finder, Dashboard, Home (in finder) all worked well with LiteIcon.

For two, the Hard Drive icon on the desktop, and the folder for iWorks in the Apps folder, I was advised to right click, "get info", click on the icon in the top left, go to edit in the menu bar, and past a photo or icon (that I copied from a different folder. It pasted as the ICNS or JPEG or... whatever format, with the "preview" icon.

Any thoughts on a) how to get the pics to show OR
b) how to lose the "preview" icon??

thanks for the patience...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
yep, you need to open the pics you want as the icon first, draw a box round it in preview, hit cmd +c, then get info on what you want to change the icon of, click top left then hit cmd +v.

thats the free easy way.

other option is candybar: it changes at a system level, so you permanently change the icon. its got a free fully functional demo, for 14 days.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
like this. :)

attachment.php

Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 00.23.50.png

OP
P
Reaction score
El capita doesn't work with lite icon now due to security preferences. Any other suggestions for a free program?

C

chas_m

You're not going to find a program that will change icons system-wide due to SIP (system integrity protection). Those days are over and done. You can change individual program icons the same way it has always been done, in File Info, and with third-party utilities that can change non-SIPed files, like FastIcns.

OP
P
Reaction score
Right. I have been able to change a few icons here and there...I miss the old days. So it goes. One more question: I've neen able to change a few folders, but not an alias. Why not? Is is possible?

C

chas_m

It's not IMPOSSIBLE, I'm sure, but it cannot be done the usual way, so for practical purposes no, you can't change the icon of an alias. Of course if the original has a custom icon and you THEN make an alias of it, the alias also has the custom icon.

I just tested this by the way to be sure of the answer. Copy and paste the icon from the "get info" windows from an original folder to an alias doesn't work, but it does as expected with a new original folder.

OP
P
Reaction score
Just deleted alias, made icon for original folder, made alias and bingo! thanks...still too bad no way to change icons for other things (e.g. dashboard, apps folder, finder icon...) unless??? anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.