Suggestions and help upgrading RAM on my MBP

Reaction score
Greetings,

I currently have a early-2009 17in 2.93mhz MBP with 4g ram, I would like to upgrade it to 8g ram. I live up in the arctic(100kms south of the North Pole)so am unable to take it into apple but am willing to do it myself. I took a look on the apple website for the appropriate memory cards PC3-8500:

Memory - Apple Store (Canada)

but they're prices; in my opinion, are ridiculous - $600 for 2x 4g memory cards!!!

Is it possible to install non-apple memory cards and if so can you recommend any that I could order in Canada and use, for example, anything off of Tiger Direct? I order from there all the time....

Search Results for PC3-8500 at TigerDirect.ca

I am also in the market to upgrade my solid-state drive to a faster model but will open a similar thread after I get the ram figured out.

Thanks in advance,

Damon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ordering memory from Tiger Direct or from any other reputable reseller will save you money over ordering from Apple. Since you live in Canada, I recommend shopping from CanadaRam. Their prices are lower than Apple and they are a reputable reseller of memory and other Mac items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Where is the original question?

- Simon

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes I gathered that, which is why I'm looking for suggestions. I'm slightly computer savvy but not knowledgeable enough to know which ones to buy, however I don't think I'll have a problem installing them. Just need some suggestions on what I could buy and what will work on my system.

Where is my original post???? ***...

If it doesn't show up again, and for those willing to assist...

I am looking to upgrade my early 2009 17" 2.93mhz MBP from 4g ram to 8g ram - so I need to purchase 2x 4g ram cards. Apple website has them listed for approximately $600 for the pair - which I think is a ridiculous price. I'm looking for suggestions on what cards I can buy which will be compatible with my machine. If you have suggestions I would appreciate a link so I can look it up and hopefully purchase what I need. I previously mentioned if they happened to be on Tiger Direct - I have purchased items from there many times so that would be great. If not, apparently CanadaRam is a great place to order from as well.

Reaction score
Here is what you need:

Two 4GB PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM's

And here is a great place to get them from:

8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3... (OWC8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC

...though I can't tell if they ship to Canada:
OWC Shipping Options and order processing information

There are a number of places on the Web
where you can find out who currently has the best price:

RamSeeker
RAM PRICES|MEMORY PRICES|APPLE MEMORY|APPLE RAM
RAM PRICES|MEMORY PRICES|APPLE MEMORY|APPLE RAM
tracks the prices for RAM from 42 retailers, with links to each retailer.

RamWatch
Welcome to RamWatch!

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Randy

OWC ships to Australia so I'm confident they'll ship to Canada. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Yeah they do, we always order our RAM/HDs from them no problems.

OP
N
Reaction score
Purchased and shipped. Thanks so much for the help. I will also be upgrading my SSD soon so will be posting a similar thread then.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.