Mac Classic OS 7.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Not an OS X question.

Basically, you insert the install floppy, start the Mac, run Apple HD SC Setup (or Drive Setup, or whatever disk utility is on the OS disks you have) and format the hard disk. Then you install the OS.

Assuming there's even a hard disk in that Classic; some of them were floppy-only.

OP
W
Reaction score
the installer cannot copy the file "System" onto the disk "Hard Disk" installation cannot continue please delete this file and try running the installer again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In other words he gets nothing?

Back in my OS 7 days, the system software came on a series of about a dozen or more floppies. Follow technologist's post. If it is on a CD boot from the CD holding down C and look for Disk Utility to format the hard drive and install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No CDrom just 8 floppy disks

Before you start pulling your hair out over this...it's always possible that the floppy disks have been corrupted after all these years. OS 7 was released in 1991...so those floppy disks could be as much as 20 years old.

Also...the read/write heads on floppy drives can get worn out (or at least their alignment can change)...and sometimes this can cause floppies to be unreadable to one computer...but still readable an another.

I'm just mentioning this as a "watchout"...cause you may be dealing with a hardware problem rather than something else.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. If the floppies are the problem...Apple has posted various old OS versions (OS 7.0 included) as a free download. But the problem is how to get them downloaded on a modern or semi-modern computer that's connected to the internet...and then getting them into a form that can be utilized by your Mac Classic (it's a LOT harder than it sounds).

OP
W
Reaction score
I understand I need a first aid disk, and also how do you format a hdd clean on the classic days?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I understand I need a first aid disk, and also how do you format a hdd clean on the classic days?

If your OS 7.0 install floppies are good...then you would not have a problem reformatting your Classic's HD.

But like I said in my earlier post...if your install floppies are damaged or corrupted (due to age or floppy drive wear issues)...then you need another set of install disks...or download the software from Apple.com.

But when you're dealing with a 20+ year-old computer...without the proper hardware...it's going to be tough to get files from the internet into a form you can use on your Classic.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Using the Apple HD SC Setup application that should be on one of the install disks, just like I told you in my first post. Have you tried this, or not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.