Solid-state motherboard capacitors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21½" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
I brought this up in another topic but thought it could use its own thread. I know a lot of motherboard manufactuers (such as Gigabyte and Asus) are now using solid-state capacitors in their motherboards that are supposed to last a lot longer since, in theory, they don't rupture over prolonged use.

Does anyone know if Mac does the same on either the iMac or the Mac Pro? :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most, if not all of the new robot built motherboards use a method called surface mounting for placing and soldering components. This lends well to using all solid state components that are incapsulated including capacitors, diodes, ICs, and transistors.

I don't know for sure that Apple logic boards use solid state capacitors but I suspect they do. Apple is usually a front line leader in hardware design.

Reaction score
Hi,

If you are going to buy a new mac then i wouldn't worry about this at all, even in cheap pc units this occurs after many years of use, yes it can happen sooner but Macs have a very good and reliable reputation. As you can see from this forum, many users still use the old model Macs and have no issue.
I would look into Apple care to put your mind at rest, i bought apple care with my new 27" i7 iMac, three years of warranty is plenty i feel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5in iMac
Nothing has radically changed with capacitors since the 1920's. Admittedly, some types have been miniaturised since the introduction of the PCB (printed circuit board) that is nowadays used in solid state circuits in most electronic equipment.

The surface-mount versions of small value resistors and capacitors were developed specifically for use on PCB's. They are soldered directly across the relevant tracks on the board, thus obviating the need for connecting wires.

However, some larger value capacitors such as the electrolytic type, which, due to their size, are connected to the PCB via wires or tags. These are usually found in computer power supply - Apple included!

To claify things, have a look here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.