Superdrive Not Correctly Recognized

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Quad-Core i7 // 16GB RAM // 512GB SSD // Radeon Pro 460 4GB
My old superdrive wasnt able to burn anything anymore and didnt accept much blank media at all. I bought a replacement one online that isnt the exactly same model but almost.

My original drive was the MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E and the new one is MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857C.

The drive actually does seem to work as my computer booted up no problem after changing it out and it reads dvds as well as blank dvd media, but it just gets an error type thing when i try to burn stuff. I dont know what the problem is?
Anyway, when i go to system profiler it says the new drive is my old drive, even though the new drive is in the computer...something is definitely weird here.
anyone have any clue how to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drive you bought as a replacement is an older model run and may not be entirely compatible with the one you removed. Where did you buy the drive from? Perhaps you can return it.

I recommend buying a replacement drive from the folks at OWC. They guaranty compatibility for their replacement drives.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Quad-Core i7 // 16GB RAM // 512GB SSD // Radeon Pro 460 4GB
Ah i see...well the guy i bought it from assured me it was a compatible replacement for my current drive. I guess ill be emailing him back to let him know its not....lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.