Safari and youtube issues

Reaction score
Same issue here

I've read about your problems with youtube and Safari. Seems that I have similar problem - I'm using Mac OS 10.6.6 .
After trying several things - reboot, reset the browser, etc. I've decided to check if it will work with html5 test option on Youtube -
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

It seems that somehow youtube is having problems playing flash videos on safari. I've tried other flash video sites and it's working just fine...

So the solution is to switch to html5 - either temporary or for ever.

Hope that this will help.

Regards,
George

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I doubt reinstalling Safari would fix it anyway.

But as for the passwords, etc, those are stored in your keychain, not Safari.

Cool. I didn't know that.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

It seems that somehow youtube is having problems playing flash videos on safari. I've tried other flash video sites and it's working just fine...

So the solution is to switch to html5 - either temporary or for ever.

Hope that this will help.

Regards,
George

YouTube somewhat works now on Safari 5.0.3 after switching to HTML5. But now, other video sights still show me as having a "Missing Plug-in" or to "upgrade to Flash Player 10 for improved playback performance" in the video box. I already have Flash Player v10.2.152.26 installed.

It's just weird that FireFox has no problem with YouTube or any other sites.

Reaction score
There are two work arounds for this:

1) run Safari in 32bit mode and everything magically works again How to run safari in 32bit mode
2) Change the safari user agent to something other than Safari 5.0.3 -Mac when viewing a youtube page. How to change user agent in Safari

Everybody is reporting the same problem on twitter, it can't be a flash problem, all other video sites are fine. I think it's youtube and they messed something up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, OS X 10.6.6, Snow Leopard
Same exact problems here. My youtube was working fine four days ago and now nothing but the black screen. I thought it may have been because I installed netnewswire? I tried the permissions reset and really have no clue what that does (I probably screwed something up)? It still doesn't work.

I have an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow. I'm not under warranty so I can't wait to see how much this is.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If you ever have problems with Chrome, open a window incognito mode and see what happens (it helps, when you don't have any plugins enabled in this mode). If it starts to work, then it might be time to clear out the cache or check bugs/updates. I just had some blacking out of a video site I visit regularly yesterday, and I diagnosed it right away by clearing out my cache.

This can go for any browser. If you right click on any flash window, then settings. Then disable "hardware acceleration", close and refresh the browser.

If those don't work, always keep in mind:
Update your plugins/extensions, if they haven't automatically done so.

Whenever you make changes to the browser for testing, it might be best to quit and restart the browser and maybe even reboot.

Screen shot 2011-02-18 at 11.49.17 PM.png

Reaction score
Darpachief,

I kiss your feet!

The 32 bit workaround fixed it. I couldn't try the other one because it's a youtube video and that's kind of the problem! True I could now look at it but the problem's fixed so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks!

Ken.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I couldn't try the other one because it's a youtube video and that's kind of the problem!

One could still find another flash site on the internet and bring about the settings. Glad your problem was fixed though, I wish more sites would stray from Flash in general. Way too much trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2
Just to say…I've had exactly the same thing happen.

I'm using Safari 5.0.3 on Snow Leopard. I haven't tried anything other than rebooting but everything Y2A above has tried doesn't seem to have worked.

Interesting this problem has arisen for several people in the last few days.

youtube videos still work embedded in Facebook.

Gggrrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

1) run Safari in 32bit mode and everything magically works again How to run safari in 32bit mode
2) Change the safari user agent to something other than Safari 5.0.3 -Mac when viewing a youtube page. How to change user agent in Safari

Everybody is reporting the same problem on twitter, it can't be a flash problem, all other video sites are fine. I think it's youtube and they messed something up.

Are there any drawbacks of changing to 32-bit?

(I've done it and youtube now works fine)

Reaction score
Interesting this problem has arisen for several people in the last few days.

youtube videos still work embedded in Facebook.

Gggrrrr

same here. all embeded youtube vids work, but vids directly on youtube.com aren't working.
anyone find a fix yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I went to the genius bar today. First off, I have the black macbook and up to date running Mac OS X 10.6.6 and also Snow Leopard. When I got there today first thing he did was check my updates and everything was up to date on that end.
Then went to flash player which was just slightly out of date. He updated that and still nothing on Youtube.

From there we took the short cut I assume and went to under the Safari tab, to Safari extensions, then installed the free ClicktoFlash extension. Went back to youtube and explained to me that everything in youtube utilizes the H.264 video.

Click on it and it uploads as a regular video file would.
That is all great, but it still doesn't work just regular like it used to. I like the extension anyway because now if I go to a flash site, it won't play the flash unless I click on it (hence clicktoflash).

He then proceeded to tell me that he isn't sure why the flash update didn't work. When I get home to install the Snow Leopard Disk and do an erase and install of the hard drive.

So now on to my next problem, when I load the Snow Leopard disk in during start up and hold the "c" button which every link has told me to do, I can't get to the Snow Leopard disk for the system operations. Back to the genius bar soon!

Reaction score
this may be related to silverlight. i restarted my safari in 32 bit, then youtube worked fine in both 32 and 64 bit, but netflix was bugging out. netflix prompted me to do delete all sites in the application storage tab of silverlight's prefs. i did this, then immediately had problems with youtube in 64 bit safari again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
So now on to my next problem, when I load the Snow Leopard disk in during start up and hold the "c" button which every link has told me to do, I can't get to the Snow Leopard disk for the system operations. Back to the genius bar soon!

Are you saying that it is not going straight to the installer, like it should do?
What are you actually getting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Changing Safari to 32bit worked great even with ClickToFlash. Cheers DarpaChief!

Reaction score
Thank you!

i did the opposite,and it worked perfect,thankyou very much!!!

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem, started completely unexpectedly. I tried the various fixes -- reinstalled Safari, restored settings from my backup, cleared the flash cache, etc. Nothing worked.... until:

Change the setting in Safari to "open in 32 bit." You do this by going to the "get info" box for the application (by right-clicking on the application icon in the finder). Under "General" there's a tick-box to check that says "open in 32-bit". Once I did that, YouTube magically worked again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm exactly the same response as everyone else. After visiting the genius bar again today, turned it to 32 bit and no problems at all. Apparently Youtube and a few others are supposedly updating their systems to 64 bit in the near future?

Reaction score
i have also just recently been having this problem.

I just switched to 32 bit mode and all works well, i even tried some other flash sites and everything runs perfectly.

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
just got the problem today. i changed to 32-bit. still doesnt work. ARGHHHH

any other solutions??!

im on 5.0.4 mac 10.6.7

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.