CD bay wont open

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a mac pro and am having problems with the cd bay for some reason. when i press the eject button on the keyboard it flashes up the eject image on my screen but then nothing happens. If i reboot the system it will then work. It seems like the longer the system has been running the less likely it is that it will work. Has anyone else had this problem? the mac is only about 6 months old and its done this from new. I mentioned it to the shop where i bought it from and they said to bring it in...i dont really want to be without my mac for any time, not to mention lugging a mac pro back to the shop is a pain in the backside.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Try holding down the eject button on the keyboard for about 6-10seconds next time this happens.

Hope this helps

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a spare drive that you can test with? It sounds like the drive mechanism itself may be failing. If you do have a spare drive laying around do a swap to see what happens. Otherwise you'll probably have to take the machine on in for warranty work. I know it's a pain to lug a big machine like that in for repair but unless you DIY you have no other choice.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do you have a spare drive that you can test with? It sounds like the drive mechanism itself may be failing. If you do have a spare drive laying around do a swap to see what happens. Otherwise you'll probably have to take the machine on in for warranty work. I know it's a pain to lug a big machine like that in for repair but unless you DIY you have no other choice.

i dont have a spare drive unfortunately. its looking like i am going to take it in! its not so much lugging it into the dealer that im concerned about, but having to use my PC while im waiting for it to be repaired:Grimmace:

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks harry, helpful post. its ejecting at the moment as i just restarted the system, come tomorrow it probably wont eject though so i'll try then!

thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks doe the replies guys....something interesting has just come to light though...dont know how i didnt pick up on this before. It seems that its windows parallels causing the issue. I was looking at some pictures earlier and when i selected to view them in a windows program by mistake the folder(which was on a cd) disappeared.

So it seems when parallels is open i guess it takes precident over the cd drive? my cd drive doesnt even show up when parallels is open, but it just show up in the windows installation.

Closing parallels fixes the problem.

I installed parallels as i need windows to run my quickbooks accounting software...which it does exceptionally well...but i guess im not free from the evils of windows after all!!!! :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. Parallels does have some quirks which is why I use Fusion instead. However, I believe you can go into tools or options and assign the CD drive the way you want it to behave. That way it will always be available even when you have Parallels running in the background. Give that a shot and let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.